Alabama Cessna Owners: local TV affiliate wants to interview pilots about drones.

We’re working on a story on drone safety.

Is there any Birmingham, Alabama members of the Cessna Owner Organization and do you have contact information? I’m trying to track down local Cessna pilots.

There have been several FAA reports of drones flying too close to planes at the Birmingham airport (as well as airports all over Alabama and across the country this year and last year.)

One interesting incident: The pilot of a CESSNA C340 reported to the FAA that a drone flew 100 feet below his plane as he was approaching Runway 36 of the Birmingham airport on Feb.15, 2017.

There have been 3 reports so far this year that have been reported to the FAA by Cessna pilots flying near the Birmingham airport. There were other reports last year

The FAA doesn’t have any further details beyond what’s in the attached reports. The Birmingham Airport doesn’t have information. No tail numbers are listed on the FAA reports.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Brian

Brian R. Pia
Investigative Reporter
ABC 33/40 News iTeam
ABC 33/40 (ABC & CNN affiliate)
Sinclair Broadcast Group
(193 TV stations in 89 markets)
800 Concourse Parkway
Suite 200
Birmingham, Alabama 35244
(205) 603-6395 (mobile)
brpia@sbgtv.com
abc3340.com

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!