It's Your Forum, Cessna Owner Members!

Hi everyone, don't forget that this forum is here for your questions, comments and answers. Make sure you use it...

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• I am interested in changing my Taxi light, my nav lights, and my beacon to LED based lights to lighten the electrical load on my 1965 C182. Does anyone have a supplier that they would recommend?

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Absolutely. www.Knots2U.com www.AircraftSpruce.com among others. Let us know how you do.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott: What's your opinion on Carb Heat and the C-182 with O-470? I got the 182 3 years ago and did my 5 hrs training for the insurance company. My check out CFI said, "Just keep it out of the yellow." I have always been using it since the way he trained. At climb to cruise, square power, then carb heat appropriately, then lean. Monitor after that.

Your CFI is a wise man! I fly my airplane with the same rules. If your OAT is in this range and there's visible moisture, stay on the ground as it's icing time. In your carb these temps will happen right up to an OAT of 80 degrees F. Your carb will drop the temp in your carburetor in the neighborhood of 50 degrees. Any humidity in the air is instantly reduced from 80 degrees (or whatever the OAT is) to freezing. It's supercooled and sticks to the first thing it touches, which is the fuel port on the inside of your carb. The carb fills with ice and the power goes down. If you don't catch it with carb heat the engine stops. As I said, you have a wise CFI!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott: Thanks for the confirmation. Two of our members were flying 10 days ago (from their story) got carb ice and and it happened after climb out, shortly after level off. So much of a roughness and drop, really shocked them thinking they're going to have to find a place to land NOW! Then the carb ice thought enter their head, fixed it. I asked weren't you monitoring the gage? Keep it out of the yellow? Well no. :o They never were trained about keeping heat on during the flight like an "anti-icing" operation if temps had the needle in the yellow. duh ?

On the bright side, they've learned and they'll never do that again, lol. I have 50 years of those experiences :) Older and wiser, right?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!