Stratus ESG Malfunction

JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
I took the plane out for a spin this weekend and encountered my first problem with my Stratus ESG transponder that we installed in January of 2017. I noticed when I first took off that the accuracy shown on my iPad was 23 meters. After a while this eventually improved to 10 meters then to 5. This may just be separate event. The real problem came when I went to press the function key to view my pressure altitude. After pressing it, nothing happened. I then pressed one of the numbered keys and once again nothing happened until I pressed them multiple times. After finally getting a response I ended up with a random code entered. I was VFR so I clicked the VFR button and once again nothing. I pressed standby and it went into standby. From here I pressed VFR again and ended up with a 5 being entered into the code. Every time I pressed VFR another 5 would be entered in the box until I ended up with “5555.” At this point I powered down the Stratus and pull the breaker for a 10 minute time-out. I then pushed the breaker and turned it back on. Once again only the power button worked with none of the other buttons functioning correctly. I emailed Appareo and hope to hear from them tomorrow. I will keep this post updated for those who installed the Stratus ESG so they know what to look for if something similar happens them. It seems to me that it’s just a keyboard malfunction because when it is on it acquires a GPS signal, switches from ground to air, and indicated the reply signal. Right now I just can’t use anything other than “1200.”

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Infant mortality is what it sounds like. Perhaps not a good QC test on the assembly line maybe. In any case, I hope you get a new unit fast and the problem goes away. Thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    I talked to the avionics shop that installed my Stratus ESG and Appareo told them to send it in. It sounds like this has happened before and they are pretty sure of what the fix will be. Appareo even e-mailed the shop a shipping label. Now I just have to get out to the airport and take the transponder out.
    Sounds like a good plan. I'm sure Appareo will get it straightened out quickly... They are a very good company.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    A little update on my Stratus ESG. I drove the transponder unit to the dealer who installed it last Friday the 23rd and they shipped it to Appareo. Appareo tested it and found that the keypad was faulty. They repaired it, upgraded the firmware, and upgraded the mounting mechanism. They then shipped it next day air to the dealer I've been working with and I received a phone call yesterday saying it's ready to be put back in. I flew the plane up to the avionics shop this morning and within 45 minutes the transponder was back in and tested. All of this didn't cost me a dime. I am impressed with how fast Appareo worked to get the transponder back up and running. They obviously standby their 24 warranty and seem like a good company. I don't have anything bad to say about the Stratus ESG. Radio Ranch is the dealer I've been working with and I highly recommend them. Ron is a great guy to work with and is extremely knowledgeable.

http://www.radioranchinc.com/
    I'm sorry about the infant-mortality but very pleased to hear about the great service you got. Thanks for sharing this!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Jeff for your post and follow up. As you know, I've been a fan of the Appareo products and have highly recommended them. Any new product can fail.
    When it happens with a new product like this, we learn what kind of company we are dealing with. It looks like Appareo passed the test! Thanks!
    Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
  • Help! Has anyone else had their Stratus ESG feed back through their comm system? On my second shop now and after thousands of $ I'm told by Stratus "they are aware of the problem" but has no fix.

Hi, you need too talk to Stratus directly. Give them a call tomorrow.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!