Proposed Avionics Upgrade to a 2001 Cessna 182T (Located in Melbourne Australia)

Hi,
I own and fly a 2001 Cessna 182T with Nav2 Bendix King Avionics. I have approx 200 hours and am about to start IFR training and plan to upgrade the avionics as detailed below. I would appreciate any comments, better options or advice on what to look out for.

1 - Remove existing vacuum AH & DG, NAV1 KX165, BK Audio Panel, KLN94 and Transponder
2 - Install a Garmin GMA345 Audio Panel, GTN650 GPS/Com/Nav and GTX335 ADSB Out Transponder
3 - Retain existing KX165 Com 2 and Nav 2, ADF and all factory original instruments.
4 - Install Garmin G5 AH and G5 HSI with battery backup and interface to GTN650 and Existing KAP 140 Auto Pilot.
5 - Install a JPI EDM730 Engine Monitor with all options.
6 - Full Certification and Test.

Regards,
Nigel Brown

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi Nigel and thanks for writing. The 182T is a great airplane, as you well know. Removing the vacuum system is a great plan, as is installing a pair of G5's. In my airplane I've removed the vacuum system and installed an Aspen. Both choices are good choices. The Aspen does much more than the G5's do at twice the cost. I have a JPI 830 in my plane, which is also a turbo, and I like it a lot. As for the GTN-650, it's very good. I have one along with the GTX345 (better choice, in my opinion, than the 335. They are both great devices, though). My personal preference is for Avidyne and I will be removing and selling my GTN-650 next month (just in case you're interested). In the final analysis, you've done a great job. You'll be very happy.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for replying Scott.
    I agree the 182 is a great plane.
    In regard to the panel I was thinking of the Aspen Pro 1000 however it is another $5k plus and I would need to keep the vacuum AH as a spare. Also from what I can see the only thing I will miss out on with the dual G5's and JPI readout is winds aloft.
    One question I have is why are you replacing the GTN-650? (Also I will install a new one at this stage.)
    Hi Nigel, Several years ago I replaced my Garmin GNS-530 with an Avidyne IFD-540. I just sold that airplane and got this new plane with all A+ avionics. However, I miss the Avidyne IFD-540 and so I'm going to get one and sell the GTN-650.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Now that's what I call a great panel! Wow! Have you flown it yet? It'll take a couple of months to get used to all of that stuff. Amazing what money can do, lol. Nicely done, congratulations!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    Wow, that panel makes me very jealous! Looks great!