Avidyne IFD versus Garmin GTN

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
A few years ago I sold my Garmin GNS-530 that I had for a dozen years and installed a new GPS. I wanted a Garmin 750 but the purchase and install price were well north of $20k. Avidyne had a deal on a slide-in replacement and so I purchased an IFD-540 and slid it into the GNS-530 tray. It didn't require any wiring or install expense. I paid $11k for that GPS and I got $9k for the GNS-530 that I sold. I figured $3k net was outstanding. So I've been flying the IFD-540 for the last three years and I really like it. Last week I sold that airplane (after 14 years) and purchase a new plane that has a Garmin GTN-650 in it. I prefer an Avidyne IFD-540 over the Garmin GTN-650 but I've only flown with the 650 once. I think I'll wait a month and make friends with the 650 before coming to any decision about which is better. My question is: Which are you flying and do you have a favorite?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Hi Scott. What did you end up doing? I am close to pulling the trigger on the 650. Thanks
  • Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi, if we go back just a bit for histories' sake, I had a King KLN-94 that I upgraded for a brand spanking new Garmin 530. I upgraded the 530 to a WAAS version later on and about 3 years ago I wanted to upgrade it while it still had a lot of resale value (I got $9.5k for it). The 750 was too big for my panel and the 650 seemed to small after the 530. Avidyne had a deal out and so I got the IFD-540 for a net difference of $3k, which was awesome after 15 years. Then last march I sold the Seneca and got a turbo Arrow 3 and it came with a new 650. I didn't like the size of the 650 after all of those years with the Garmin 530 and the Avidyne 540. Again the 750 wouldn't fit in my panel and the Avidyne 540 was an easy fit. Avidyne had a deal going and I sold my 650 for $9k and got the Avidyne 540 for $12k. So I'm on my second plane with an Avidyne 540. Both Avidyne and Garmin make excellent products. The Avidyne has the advantage of being plug n play with a Garmin 530 and it interfaces easily to anything you can purchase. You'll do fine with brand G or brand W.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I replaced my old avionics in my 1965 17F with Garmin products. I have a Garmin GTN-650 in my aircraft and am very pleased with the results. I paired it up with a Garmin G5 HSI and it seems to integrate very well. I also have a Garmin Aero 660 which receives the GPS and ADS-B in from my GTX-345 transponder. The 660 is a nice portable unit and docks into the panel with a panel-mount docking station. I also have a Garmin nav/com radio tied to a VOR/LOC head and Garmin audio panel. A little pricy in total-installation costs with labor were around $30K. But, I've had no issues and everything works as intended!

I'm so happy for you (and sad about your checking account). Can you post a couple of pics of your panel? Do you perchance have before and after pics? :) Happy holidays!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott I know what you mean. I have an IFB 540 in a 55 Baron and I just installed the new GN650s in a 185.

The jury is still out on the garment 650s as I haven’t had that much time to work with them. Once I get my engine back from overhaul and have time to fly a little bit I’ll give you another comment but it does seem that the approach functions or simpler to use on the ID 540.

Jet Anderson

I had a Garmin 530 for 14 years or so and traded for an Avidyne 540 because I couldn't fit the wonderful but gigantic 750 in my plane. Then I traded planes this year and it came with a 650. I didn't like the small 650 screen as compared to the 530/540 but couldn't fit a 750 in. So I got another Avidyne 540 (my second) and I do love it. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!