Powerflow Exhaust - Do you use one on your Cessna?

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
edited February 18 in Modifications
Do you or do you know of someone else who uses a Powerflow exhaust?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• I have one one my 172 with O-320-E2D engine i like it, it does everything they claim and you have to watch rpm's now as its easy to over rev the engine. only issue is I have carb temp probe for my JPI EDM 900 installed and powerflow sits right against it. almost NO clearance, disscussed issue with powerflow, and fix is to mark location with marker and remove power flow and hit it with ball peen hammer head or rubber mallet, to put slight dent / dimple in powerflow sheet metal to give probe sensor clearance.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Good to know. Thanks for your comment.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Installed PowerFlow exhaust on my 1970 177B with help from my A&P. He was very skeptical saying I would feel very little difference. He also flys a 177RG. He took the
    initial flight and came back amazed! Much stronger take off roll and I cruise at 120 kts at 65%, usually around 22 squared!

Excellent! They're a very good company. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I’ve had a PowerFlow on my 172N since the early 2000s. When I installed it, I did a test flight comparison with a CAP Air Plains 180 hp-modified 172. I would be willing to share the data if you are interested.
    Egon

Hi Egon,
    Absolutely! Please post it, everyone will be amazed :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I put the Powerflow (shortstack) on my 170B with the Lyc. O-360 A1A conversion and was very impressed in every area. To me, an a/c engine (especially with a constant speed prop) is the perfect candidate for “tuned exhaust” because we will generally run in a fairly specific rpm range where an exhaust system can be designed to scavenge gases the best. I would have chosen the longer tailpipe option, but I hated the look.

We have members with the Powerflow exhaust and it's been reviewed very highly. Hopefully a member will make a post here.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• for a 182 they show 15 hp 28 foot pounds of torque at 2600 rpm...wonder what it is at 2300 or 2400

https://powerflowsystems.com/products/cessna/cessna-182

• They don’t make one for the 182
  • Forget my last comment. I see they now have one for the O-470
  • Scott: I found the comparison tests. The first is the 172N without wheel pants before & after the installation of the exhaust system. The second was done a few days later comparing a CAP Air Plains 180 hp conversion but no wheel pants and the 172N with the PowerFlow and the wheel pants installed. You can see that the 172N lagged a little below 6500 ft, but out-climbed the 180 hp version by 7,000 ft. and above. I can't vouch for the comparability of the two airspeed indicators or tachometers, as I did not have a portable PropTach or GPS at the time, but the time to climb numbers don't lie.
    -Egon

Thanks Egon!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Have any members re-pitched their two blade prop after installing powerflow. I have the longstack powerflow on my 172L, big improvement in climb and ceiling (14,200ft!), so I’m wondering if I could squeeze a little more cruise speed with a prop pitch change?? How would I go about determining how much to re-pitch??

Hmm. That's a very good question. There may be a couple of questions here. Since you have a fixed pitch prop, is it even possible to change the pitch or do you need to get a new prop. Maybe the first question then is to contact a prop shop and ask if it's possible.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!