Starting issues

Hi,

I’m never sure where to post questions like this, but maybe someone can redirect me if this won’t work here. I have 172G with an O300C engine. I’ve been dealing with several issues regarding the starter. I had to get a rebuilt one, it came and ended up turning counterclockwise instead of clockwise (scratched our heads for awhile til we figured that out). Just got back from AirVenture and hooked up the replacement for that and all seemed fine, cranked fine. Put the cowling back in place, pulled the plane out of the hanger, pulled the T handle, nothing happened. Moved the prop by hand to an 11:00 - 5:00 diagonal and she started just fine. Experimenting we found that the starter would work properly if the prop was in that diagonal position but not if it ended up in a more horizontal position. I don’t recall this ever being the case when the other starter was working. We don’t think the ring gear looked bad, so my A&P is a little stumped at the moment. Anyone ever heard of this before? We can always set the prop on preflight but wonder what’s going on....

Thanks for any ideas,

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
N3862L

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for writing. I'll forward your question to our association A&P, Erich Rempert. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Hi Jim, this just in from our A&P, Erich:

Nothing happens, or the motor engages but doesn't turn the engine?

-Erich

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott, thanks for this. Actually nothing happens, as if the master switch isn’t even on, change prop position and it works normally.

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L

OK, stand by

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Here's the latest from A&P land:

Jim,
    Disconnect the battery, and stand clear, and with the cowling off press the starter button in on the starter itself and move the prop to see if you can feel the internal contact moving around. I think something is amiss inside the starter, and when the starter is in one position the contacts are able to be made, and in other positions they can't be?? Obviously BE SURE TO VERIFY THE STARTER CANNOT ENGAGE UNDER POWER when doing this. Disconnect the battery, whatever, but I think you need to look at the actual contractor in the starter. Feeling what's going on with your hand while you move the prop might tell the story. One other thing, are there spots that don't work that are related to compression strokes? I wouldn't think that would matter but it might. Check your battery, hook up to external power and see if it resolves the issue. I have seen a bunch of "bad starters" fixed with good batteries...

~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you very much, we will experiment with this. I’ll be embarrassed if it is a weak battery, it’s always my first check working on a car. It is a new battery, but did do a lot of cranking, attempted starts with the old starter....

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L

Hi Jim,
    What was the final resolution of this problem? Are you still having it? What can I do to help?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Sorry that I didn’t get back here sooner. I’m a little embarrassed to report that it was a fairly simple fix. (Not the battery though). It turned out that it was a tweaking of the adjusting nut on the arm that pushes on the starter button and the pull cable adjustment. We had to be sure we were pushing the starter clutch in the proper, but not to far, distance into the engine, with the pull cable and then balance that with adjustment nut. I think the prop positions sometimes let the starter cable pull a little deeper allowing intermittent cranking. All seems well at the moment anyway. Thank you for all your help with this.

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L

Hi Jim and thanks so much for the update. I'm sure you're pleased with the outcome. Thanks again for filling me in! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!