Ipad and Foreflight Experiences.

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Speaking of baby steps and yoke mounts... Yesterday I was flying with my Ipad, which I've had with Foreflight for maybe two months and about 15 hours of flight and the sun was hitting it. It overheated and powered down. I held it up in the flow from the air vent, which was about 40 degrees or so and it cooled off in about five minutes. I'm really glad I wasn't flying an approach when that happened. Have you guys had this problem?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• I have an iPad Pro mounted on a yoke Mount. I had an iPad 2 that I used with a knee mount before that and the only time I had a problem was when I left it on the dash while having lunch at an airport cafe. Other than that I’ve never had any issues.

Gary

Gary Van Dyke

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks Gary!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes. Twice. Sporty’s has a “cooling case”. I just avoid sun exposure.

Good idea, lol. :) Having overheated my IPad once, I'm not included to do it again.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The Minis, I was told, might be the only ones whose battery would last through a full tank of Xcountry fuel. But I too found out, you can't let them get too hot, like when the sun comes in over your shoulder. Mine happened 10 miles before a course change over a waypoint outside of St Louis. I had become so dependent on the ipad, I never used the VOR for course anymore. I had a local sectional, but not one for St Louis, when it showed me the error code and died! Just put it in the shade for 5 minutes, and I was able to make the turn.
    Thank goodness I was solo, it would have scared a non-pilot. I brought this incident up at our next VMC meeting, and you really have lots of options for 'back-up': carry a handheld GPS, use your VORs, or keep the correct sectional in the seat pockets. Though it really sounds old-school, I chose the sectionals, as they are a LOT cheaper than the other options.

• I have the Sporty’s power back up device...will keep an iPad going for hours...

I always have mine plugged into my cigarette lighter. I had my mini blink out due to overheat once in the middle of winter. I held it up to the air vent for a minute or two and it came back. Now I'm very careful to never let the sun hit it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I've had it turn off due to overheating twice, once enroute and once navigating a STAR into the ATL terminal. First time was operator error as I left it in the airplane while I refueled in the summer heat! Won't do that anymore. The other time it was in the sun but under an air vent. I've since moved the mount to a side window under the wing.

We learn, slowly, but we learn, :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Mine shut off a couple of times due to operator error (sun exposed). I now tend to have it on top of my knee board or right seat.
    For battery life I make sure all non essential apps are "off" (amazing how much can be running in the background depleting battery life). I thought about using a high capacity battery pack, but haven't gotten around to it yet. On long xc's KDWH - KMTH, I recharge in the FBO's at fuel stops. Its one more thing to do but it works.
    As a tertiary backup, I have FF on my IPhone as well. (Caution its an eye chart!)

• +++ on the Sporty’s battery packs. Extend devices lives by hours. I have two packs.

Ok, that works, too! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!