Avionics - ADS-B Webinar By Bob Hart

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

The ADS-B webinar by Bob Hart will be online soon. It was one hour and the time flew by; very informative and I learned alot!

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Bob,
    Here's a question for the webinar:
    I have a 1968 172 Skyhawk and all my avionics are from the early 1980's so I assume I will need a complete package to meet the ADS-B in and out mandate. For a basic package to make it happen what is your estimated cost for my plane. Thanks for your time.
    Corey

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Hi Corey,
    Thanks for attending the ADS-B Webinar and your question.
    I think I answered your questions regarding ADS-B already in the webinar with the options and installed prices I provided.
    ADS-B in a 172 is likely to be on the affordable side and the one issue you may have is your existing transponder
    but I suspect you are looking beyond ADS-B and asking about the cost to update your avionics.

Fact is … there is no simple answer! I can’t answer that question without getting to know you, your plans for the aircraft and how you plan to fly it.

Avionics shops do this without these answers because they are already preconditioned as to what they think you need and that’s
    usually Garmin. Garmin is great if you can afford it.

I would be happy to provide guidance to your Avionics upgrade if that is what you are asking but it is important for me to see the whole picture so it would be helpful if you can fill in the answers attached below? Also, can you confirm that you have visited my website and are familiar with my pricing structure? Note the “Avionics Report & Recommendation” example on my site. Ultimately, that will be the outcome of our time together. I like to communicate in writing. Things can get missed the other way!

Note that my billable time starts after I have all the information so the "meter" doesn't start until then. I will let you know when my time starts. The average client bill is $300 or 4 hours.

Once I have the information and understand your goals, I will give you an estimate of the time I will need so you know in advance. My fee will not exceed this unless you provide additional information, or change course that requires a re-evaluation. There will be no surprises! Here's the information I seek: (these are the questions that a typical avionics shop will not ask before quoting?)

Pilot and Aircraft Information Needed:
    (skip questions if you already addressed in your initial email)

Pilot
    1. Pilot experience/ratings and hours
    Same for Partner if you have one.

1. Typical Flights (VFR-IFR-Cross Country- Distance/Terrain?)

2. Plans for IFR-Commercial or Professional Pilot Certificate upgrades?

3. What IFR conditions would you generally fly in?
      What IFR conditions would you avoid?

Aircraft

1. Make, Model, Year of Aircraft

2. How long owned. How long do you plan to keep it? (Important!)
      What do you currently have “invested” in your aircraft?

If you have owned previous aircraft, what were they?

3. Current Avionics equipment list and condition (working, Intermittent,
      unreliable, not working) is helpful but Three, good quality panel
      photos (Pilot Panel, Center Stack and Co-pilot panel)
      works great so I can see and identify everything in the panel.

4. Are you using a tablet PC and Aviation software to augment your
      Avionics. If so, what are you using including attachments like
      a portable ADS-B receiver.

5. Goals for the completed upgrade. What capability (tools) are missing from your existing panel now.

6. Anticipated total upgrade budget.

7. Do you have an avionics shop contact or an A & P who can install now?

Note that I bill through PayPal.

Finally, a paragraph from you explaining just what HELP you need from me would be helpful if you haven’t established that already.

Thanks!

Bob Hart

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Bob,
    Your webinar did answer a lot of my questions about cost and what direction I should go. Thank you for broadcasting it.
    Corey

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!