Upgrading fuselage beacon on 172A

I have an ancient, white strobe, looped bulb, on the belly of my 172A. The bulb burned out last April, and I had to replace the entire assembly because it's a modular assembly. It had a 6 month warranty, and quit working again after the seventh month. Now looking to replace it with an LED, which has a 5 year warranty. I'd like to upgrade to LED to save amps on my O-300 with just a generator, and those LEDs just seem more visible to me. My mechanic recommends Whelen or Aero. Any suggestions on what to replace it with?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi, everywhere I turn I'm seeing more and more LED's. I've replaced my landing lights with LED's and I couldn't be happier. I'm considering replacing my wingtips and tail strobes, too. Whelen is the gold-standard of aircraft lighting and I see my shop installing Aero lights every month. I've had Whelen for 50 years, trouble free. Aero seems to be giving them a run for their money. I talked to my mechanic and he's suggesting Aero. Good luck, take a few pics and post them here when you're done.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I had the Aero SunBeacon II installed. Just a tad less drag, but I can now see the reflection of the light on my tires, during taxi, even in the middle of the day!!!! Installation manual said to power it with a shielded cable, to avoid radio inference. That involved removing seats, carpet and inspection plates from the floor. More time and expense, but really worth it. It has a 5 year warranty, too.[]

Very cool and thanks so much for sharing this. Does the reflection that you see bother you any or just confirm that it's working, lol. Thanks again!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Just looked on Aircraft Spruce. Wow...$695. But to be seen is priceless!

That's alot of money but it'll last forever. Probably longer than the plane will, lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes. I have LED operating lights in my office. 20 year life expentancy

• Replaced the (probably) original one one bulb Grimes "coffee grinder" style rotating beacon on my 1956 172 with a Whelen split LED Collision Flasher (PN 01-0772010 in April 2019 and am extremely pleased with the ease of installation and operation.

Thanks for posting Scott. Any chance you can take a pic or two for us? :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!