ADS-B solution for 2005' 172s G1000 Nav III (non waas)

I have not received a "straight" answer from Garmin or Cessna on what my options are for adding ADS-B out to my non-waas G1000 Nav III in my 2005' C172s.
I was told the GDL 82 was not an option for my system, ????????? It seems this would be a reasonable solution.

Also I would possibly consider updating the GIA 63 to a waas unit for the upgrade of waas navigation and ADS-B in/out if it can be done at a reasonable price.

I don't understand why the options are not clearly spelled out as I can't be the only non waas G1000 owner looking for answers. Maybe they are, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.

sys software version is: 0563.14
serial # 172S9813

Thanks in advance,
Joe Thompson

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Joe,
    I understand how infuriating this can be. Let's try and get you a step forward, however. The FAA says you only have to have ADS-B Out by the end of 2020, so let's concentrate on that. As you surmise, the GDL-82 is a perfect solution for your need. It gives you UAT output, which is legal up to 18,000 ft and only in the US, which I'm guessing will meet your needs just fine. It includes a WAAS gps for position source and connects inline with your mode c transponder coax output. You can purchase the necessary cable pre-built from Garmin and the installation is easy as pie, according to the reviews given by many other users. And, as you already know, it's certified so it's legal for you. Given how inexpensive this is, $1829 from Aircraft Spruce with the pre-built cable, and a couple of hours of labor from a shop, you should get by for about $2k. It's a very good solution for you and won't require any changes or interfaces with your non-waas G1000. Regarding Garmin's comments about it not being an option for you; keep in mind that they want you to spend $50k on the G1000 upgrade. I would do the GDL-82 to get legal and get this off your back and then worry about ADS-B In later. Does this help?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    It absolutely does!
    Thank you for the insight. I knew that had to be an option.
    That will be my course of action.

Best Regards,
    Joe

Ok Joe,
    If there's anything I can do please let me know. Also, don't forget that we have an avionics expert, Bob Hart, on staff for you, too, if you need him. Just let me know and I can get you connected.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    Business has gotten in the way again, so I haven't implemented a specific ADS-B option.
    Recently I read a post on another forum where an owner had a 345R installed in his 2007' A36 G1000 non-waas. He somehow avoided the waas upgrade and the exorbitant cost.
    While I would really prefer the waas navigational upgrade along with the ADS-B upgrade the 50K price tag makes no sense for me.
    You mention Bob Hart above, is there a forum or conference where a guy could go to get solid answers. I'm probably not the only guy that is willing to pay a consultant to help sort the best path forward.

Thanks for your guidance,

• Scott,
    I sent an email to Bob. I'll let you know what we come up with.
    Thanks,

Ok, that's great. Let me know if you don't get an answer in a reasonable time. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• One year ago I had the Garmin GTX 335R installed on my 2005 non-WAAS G1000 Cessna 172

The 335 and 345 are excellent transponders, probably the best there is right now. Nice job. Just out of curiosity, are you going to upgrade your G1000?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Joe, For what its worth CASA the equivalent of FAA in Australia introduced a series of mandates effective between 2013 and 2017. I have have 2006 172S with GIA63 that were not WAAS compliant. Back then it was going to cost a ridiculous amount of money to install GIA63W units etc to make the aircraft ADSB compliant. I ended getting an Lynx NGT-9000 mounted to the right of the MFD which I am very happy with. It was less than 1/2 the cost of the Garmin solution and also provides traffic to the MFD via RS232 and the iPad via WiFi dependent upon software used. Cheers.

Nicely done. Thanks for the explanation :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• @Scott Sherer said:
    The 335 and 345 are excellent transponders, probably the best there is right now. Nice job. Just out of curiosity, are you going to upgrade your G1000?

Hi Scott - I wasn't planning on it but then I "thought" I had read at the Continental web site recently that if one wanted to change out the Lycoming IO-360 L2A engine (I'm getting close to 2,000 hours) for their diesel, and if your plane is non_waas you would have to upgrade to WAAS.

Do you know anything about that?

No I don't sorry. That's news to me. Let us know what you find out.... and maybe someone else will voice an opinion.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!