If you have Aspen PFD or MFD and are thinking about buying their ADS-B interfaces, don't. They don't work. Worse yet, Aspen is trying to blame it on the government ADS-B data! Well, I don't see Garmin and L3 having any problem with the same data.
I can see from reading your email that you're very frustrated with Aspen. Can you elaborate on what you're experiencing? Can I be of help with this?
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.
Need help? Let me know!
I am very frustrated. Especially in light of the fact that they try to blame the government data to for their own shortcomings. Its outrageous. I have their PFD 1000 and MFD 500. In addition I have their XM interface, and their AOA. A few months back, I had a Garmin 345 with ADS-B IN and Out installed. Per my Dealer's recommendation, I purchased Aspen interfaces for both my displays for the 345 outputs. Well, they don't work. They lock the displays up and they reboot. And last weekend my MFD data card was corrupted by the garbage interface. FAA put out an advisory recommending that ADS-B IN data not be coupled with Aspen equipment. So, it is a well known shortcoming and they seemingly are unable to fix it. And yet, they still advertise their ADS-B interfaces. (Ref.: AOPA Magazine Jan 2019 issue). They are telling customers like me that the problem is with government data! That is a lie. I have friends flying with 345 with Garmin display as well as the L3's device with no problem whatsoever. They process the same data that Aspen is trying to process. I am really surprised that the so called avionics experts in the media have been so silent about this issue. I doubt that they are not aware of the problem; they seem to have chosen not to talk about it! I have given Aspen until close of business on Jan 16. If they don't have a solution by then, I will have my dealer remove the garbage off my displays, refund my money and install a Garmin display for the data.
Thanks for taking the time to write this for me. I have a Garmin 345 tranponder connected to my Aspen 1000 and it seems to work fine. It was installed by the previous owner so I'm not sure of the particulars of the install, but it definitely work. I have also spoken to many members that have their 345 transponder successfully interfaced with their G5's. I think that you're doing the right thing by giving them till January 16th. Holding your installer accountable is also the right thing to do. Good luck and let me know what happens on the 16th.
I decided to have the Aspen displays decoupled from my 345 for now. So, I am getting my weather and traffic on my iPad and Garmin 430W. The reason you don't see any problem with your Aspen maybe that you don't have the latest software upgrade. This problem has affected software V2.9 . I just didn't feel comfortable with it anymore; I don't want to be caught with it in a low approach. When it happened last time, it corrupted my MFD data card. And that did it for me. Aspen tells me that the problem does't happen all the time nor does it happen everywhere in the country even if you have software V2.9. From what you are telling me, maybe they are right; but I no longer believe them.
Thanks for deleting my sales ad.
Good decision. I'm going to check and see what software version I have. Thanks for the post.