Cessna 172F LED Interior lighting

I have a 1965 172F and am thinking of upgrading my interior lighting to LED. Specifically, I'm looking at upgrading the overhead dome/instrument panel lighting to LED and the map light on the front post on the pilot's side. For the map light, I'm looking at the Oplite Maplight 6 dual color LED map light as a replacement [www.oplite.com]. For the overhead lighting, I'm looking at a simple bulb replacement with an LED equivalent, whichever is more sensible. Does anyone have any experience in this area with their aircraft. Thoughts/suggestions?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I've been using LED lighting in my various airplanes for about 15 years. I didn't know about Oplite (thanks for the info) and I'm looking at them now. They have a variety of very high quality products! Mostly over the years I've gone to Aircraft Spruce (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/el/interiolighting.html) successfully for lighting products. I will be curious to see what you wind up getting. Keep us informed of what you do and take a few pics for our forum while you're at it. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• The Oplite needed is the dual color white/red in 12 volt. Available from Wicks Aircraft Supply catalog # OP6-W/R 12. Their price is $95.15

Thanks so much!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Ok, thanks for the updates! I'll let you know what I come up with for a solution.

• Hello All,
    I have a 1972 Cessna 150L and I would like to convert the nav/position lights and the dome/map light bulbs to LED. I have the part numbers from the Cessna Parts Catalog and when I call Aircraft Spruce, they could not help me because they needed different numbers. Which LED bulbs from Aircraft Spruce of Aerolite or any other company, should I use ie the bulb numbers? Thanks
    Rod Stevenson

Hi, I'll need the nav/position light numbers and dome/map light bulb numbers. Also, can you post a couple of pics? I'll help you find them.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I just upgraded by 1965 172F with LED position lamps from Aircraft Spruce. Here are the part numbers and prices:

11-15019 WHELEN CHROMA POSITION LED LAMP, 14V, GREEN $134.75
    11-15017 WHELEN CHROMA POSITION LED LAMP, 14V, RED $134.75

They are very nice and high quality. Plenty bright too! I would assume the Cessna 150 would use similar part numbers. Also, if you haven't changed your bulbs in a while, you may need new gaskets and/or lenses. You can usually find these on eBay for cheaper prices. That's where I went for gaskets:

38-0230021-00 / W1283 / A1257A POSITION LIGHT LENS GASKET, $4.75

Also, I installed Whelen Parmetheus LED taxi and landing lights from Aircraft Spruce:

11-12977 WHELEN LED PARMETHEUS PLUS 01-0771833-15 PAR36 TAXI $257.95

11-12976 WHELEN LED PARMETHEUS PLUS PAR36 14V LAND P36P1L $227.95

Between these 2 lamps I reduced the current draw on my 14V electrical system by 12 Amps! Very bright and reliable!

Nicely done! Way to go, Joe!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!