172 G fuel senders

I have discovered a fuel leak, possible leaks on the senders and the fuel tank filler neck gaskets. I believe the cork has probably dried out over the years and needs to be replaced. I also think the fuel is leaking around the center of the sender where the wire attaches. My question is has anybody dealt with this issue and what options do I have on a repair or replacement of the senders? Here is a photo of the fuel stained sender.

Thanks for the advice
Drew

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Drew, really good catch on your part. Blue is a tell-tale sign of fuel leakage. Generally, you can overhaul or replace them. I just did four on my twin about two years ago. While I didn't like paying for it, lol, they didn't leak anymore, were much more, consistently accurate and didn't flicker because I replaced the wiring. I recommend it highly. I can find you a place for the swap if your shop doesn't know. Please advise.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes I would like to find a place that would overhaul them in a timely manner, or use mine as a core swap.

Thank you
    Drew

Try these and let me know if you need more.
    www.airpartsoflockhaven.com,www.proaeroav.com , www.ciescorp.net/, www.mcfarlaneaviation.com, www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ep/fuelsender.html

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Looks like more leaks. There appears to be a previous repair that was made with JB weld. Now the JB weld has a crack. My question is, is there a field type repair that is adequate, such as using pro seal or another type sealant? The damaged area is on top and in the middle of the tank.
    I appreciate any advice
    Thanks Drew

My guess is that this is serious and I wouldn't fly it until the tank is repaired. My guess is that the repair wasn't done right the first time. Here are four companies that specialize in tank repair. Let me know what happens.
    Aero-Trim, Inc. Aviation Enterprises, LLC. Loree Air, Inc. Woodstock Aircraft Services.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Andrew unfortunately JB weld is not a legal tank repair, I would have my A&P remove both tanks and have them rebuilt.
  • I would definitely not fly it either. If a wire was to short inside the wing and ignite some leaked avgas in flight, it would really ruin your day!

No kidding, lol. Fuel leaks aren't to be messed with. Thanks for comments.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!