UMA electric tach

I want to install a UMA TSOed tachometer in my 172G. My IA has contacted the FSDO and they said that if someone has had a field approval done for this particular install that it would be easy to do the required paper work. So I’m looking for someone that has been there and done this. The part numbers have to match these. This is all new to me so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Drew

Tachometer T19-01-1221

Mag pickup T1A9-10-02432

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    edited February 2019

Hi Drew and thanks for writing. The UMA is a nice looking and reliable tach and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. However, finding someone who's done it may be challenging. Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you haven't looked at a direct replacement for yours, same model and make? You can purchase new or overhaul yours and save alot of time and money. You can even upgrade to one of these: https://buy-ei.com/portfolio/r-1/ . This is STC'd and TSO'd. for only a little more.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• As they say “hindsight is 20/20”. I’ve already purchased this unit thinking that being TSO’d, it wouldn’t be a problem. I really liked the Uma over the others because it has the analog dial but with accuracy of electric. It may be easier and cheaper in the long run either to put the old one back in, or purchase a STCed tach. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
  • Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Be there, done that, still there! :) No harm no fowl.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!