Cessna 172 Doors

Have ordered/received a “door steward” from Knots2U. Anyone have any experience with these?
Hope to have time to install this weekend.

Comments

• Door steward is basically a small hydraulic cylinder to prevent door closing when wind blows, etc...attaches at bottom of door.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have installed one in each of the last two Seneca's that I've owned and it's on the list for May, 2019 in the Arrow. They're great, I recommend it highly.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks. Wanted to have some realistic feedback before I begin riveting. Curious how the door closing will be? Piper doors more gentle, Cessna doors more of a firm close..slam...

Good question. Let me know, lol. Take pics and post please :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Will do. Not sure if I will be able to install this weekend. Hope next weekend. The website of company has a great video on installation procedures. Mtnviewaviation.com.

Ok, sounds great. Good luck, don't screw it up, lol! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The video gives one a lot of confidence! I’ll rivet it up!

Let 'er rip! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

So how about taking lots of pics and writing and article for Cessna Owners about it? I can be your editor and smooth it out if it needs it.... Let me know!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Will try. Sure! Thanks for the opportunity

If you're not a good writer, don't worry. I'll fix it up :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Sounds good. I did receive an A in all my composition writing classes!

Perfect, thanks :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have installed pair of Door Stewards in my 172 L Cessna, I really like them. They hold door open while your loading / unloading and prevent wind from blowing the doors, plus stock latch under wing was / is basically worn out, never really held door open very well. I need to remove stock latch still as I've hit my head on it two or there times already. with door Steward, you don't need stock latch.

They were easy to install, almost Idiot proof...

I just installed one in my plane last month. BIG improvement!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Have utilized on my past 172, and my current 182.

• Good time to practice riveting!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

Does your door have a pull handle built in? Our 175 only has the operating handle and I've thought about installing the door stewards but without a door handle, I don't want to shut the door using the operating handle. I know one day I'd have a passenger shut the door and end up with the operating handle in their hand staring at me with surprise. I usually shut the door for the passengers from the outside but sometimes its unavoidable.

• Does this require a mechanic to install? I'm handy but not licensed.

As to door handle, my 180 has them, but I open the window and close the door by holding the window opening.

• C337 said:
    Have ordered/received a “door steward” from Knots2U. Anyone have any experience with these?
    Hope to have time to install this weekend.

Put one on my Skymaster last year. Works fantastic. Just the right amount of pressure. Make sure to follow the instructions and slope the rod end down to keep oil on the seals.

• I have had a door steward on the pilot side door of my C182 Skylane for two years, and have really enjoyed having it. It prevents the wind from catching the door from behind and slamming it on the stop. I intend to get on for the other door at the next annual.

I just installed a Door Steward last month. My second one as I had one in my twin four years ago. Awesome little device! It took four hours to install. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!