TR182RG Cold Cylinder

Puzzling.....my #4 cylinder has been running cold compared to all the others. I played with various mixtures and power settings today and the results don't make any sense to me. When I run manifold pressure around 17" all cylinders temps are pretty consistent with each other. As I increase manifold pressure, cylinder #4 temps go DOWN, both CHT and EGT while the other's go up (as I would expect). Any ideas??

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Yes and thanks for writing with your question. Have your mechanic swap your potentially bad CHT probe with another cylinder CHT probe. My guess is that the probe is in need of repair. A swap to another cylinder will prove if that's right or not.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• OK, I switched the EGT #4 & #6 probes, the probes are fine. #4 is a cold cylinder for both EGT and CHT. Any other thoughts?

Hi, sounds like a fuel flow problem. Has your mechanic looked at that yet?

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• it's a different set up - "Turbo Normalized". Although turbo charged it is carbureted not injected. We did look for intake leaks but didn't find any. What else would we look for? Compressions are good so no suspected valve problems.

One cylinder is cool... running lean or rich?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I run rich of peak, my engine gets pretty rough on the lean side (not injected). As for that cylinder, I suspected it was running lean and that's why we were looking for intake leaks maybe like on the flange. I run full rich at climbout and all cylinders run close to the same temps in that configuration. I'll go up today and play with the mixture in cruise and see if it gets hotter or cooler when leaner. I've only really noticed it gets cooler with more manifold pressure, opposite of the others.

OK, I think you're on the right track. Definitely a fuel imbalance between the cylinders.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I just listened to this webinar yesterday, very informative. If you have an engine monitor that you can download the data I would suggest uploading it to Savvy Analysis and getting their opinion.

Thanks Andrew! I'm watching now. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Excellent suggestion, I'll do it! Thanks