Tru Track Vision Autopilot

Hello. Considering/investigating possible install in my 1970 172K. No previous autopilots installed...a basic wing leveler. Anyone with any info/installs? Reading up...can utilize portable GPS signal? Would save dollars... Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Tru Trak is getting good recommendations on Cessna's and everything else. Send them an email about the portable GPS question. I'm sure they have an answer. Here's their contact info:

Phone: (479) 751-0250
    Fax: (479) 751-3397

Email: custserv@trutrakap.com
    Address: 1488 S Old Missouri Rd.
    Springdale, AR 72764
    OR
    PO Box 189
    Springdale AR 72765

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you! Happy Easter

• Email sent

Thanks Kent!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Considering a used Garmin 400W to drive the autopilot

Hi Kent,
    Consider this: With Garmin's new announcement just recently of the GPS175 at or below $5000 for a WAAS navigator, I hope you aren't spending more than $2000 for a 400W. I think that the old equipment needs to be really cheap to make it worthwhile. And also remember that regardless of what equipment you choose, it's going to have a hefty installation charge... And, how long with Garmin and Jeppesen support the old equipment?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Good point. I’ll talk to the shop.

• saludos

I've just installed on my C172N, and am totally in love with it!!! kicking myself for not having it installed sooner, I assisted on the installation (under supervision) TruTrak Includes almost everything you need and very detailed install documentation, very easy installation, was very concerned about the servos and the shop installed them in a day and a half, no issues, just flew 3.4hrs solid IFR, never saw the ground until final, my AP is coupled to Garmin 400, and it even flew the whole approach, landed rested and happy, definitely worth its weight in gold!!!!

• GREAT to hear!! I have the same set up planned, Garmin 400W and the Vision autopilot. What shop/where are you located? Thanks!!!

• swtrittswtritt Flight Attendant

Installed the TruTrak in July 2018. Greatest investment I have made for my R172K XP II. I coupled it with a Garmin Aera 660, not IFR certified but a great situational awareness tool and I would trust it if I got into trouble. Very easy to learn all functions and use. My aircraft never had an autopilot and they had no problems with the install. I would highly recommend it!

S. Tritt
    Private Pilot
    Ohio

• I inquired about portable GPS as source. No GPS steering? Correct?

• swtrittswtritt Flight Attendant

With the Aera 660 you can couple to the Tru Trak and enter a flight plan in NAV mode. The Tru Trak will fly the flight plan very accurately but not anticipate turns. The Aera is a portable device hence the no IFR certification. With this configuration it is not GPSS but only GPS Nav. Although it does not anticipate upcoming turns it sure does perform very smoothly after hitting a way point. I have been 180 degrees from a point, put in a direct to and made a nice smooth turn, 180, and intercepted the magenta line. Again not a WAAS or GPSS IFR certified device but a GREAT situational awareness tool.

S. Tritt
    Private Pilot
    Ohio

• Thanks. Considered portable source, but decided to go wass gps.

• Scheduled my install June 3 start date. What have been the install times for the Vision? 4 weeks I was told...40 hours of shop labor.

• Scott
    With the Garmin 400W, do I need a terrain card? The unit does have the database card. Thanks

You should not need any terrain information for the autopilot. :) Save a few bucks.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks. That is what I gleaned from other forums/advice. I don’t plan on flying low enough to encounter any new cell towers! Lol

Good plan, lol :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!