G1000 Heading Indicator Failure

I have a 2005 Cessna Stationair with a G1000 (panel with a separate autopilot (KAP 140). About once every 3-4 hrs of flight time, the Heading Indicator fails with a red X appearing where the heading bug used to be. Of course, this causes the autopilot to fail and the plane deviates off course. Surprisingly, there is no autopilot disconnect alarm at this point. I took it to my local avionics shop who tried to reproduce the problem for over an hour but were unable to do so. They said I should wait for a hard failure. They then took a guess and replaced the magnetometer which did not help the problem. This has been going on for over 18 months. Garmin is asking me to catch the data on a SD card in the top slot of the MFD. I am in the process of doing so but I don't see what the data will add to the current problem. It will just tell me flight conditions and location at the time of the failure. This failure could be catastrophic on an approach in IMC. I'm desperate to get this resolved and even willing to replace the entire system at considerable cost if I could be assured it would solve the problem. It is hard to believe that nobody else has had a problem like this. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Intermittent electronic problems are tough to solve. It could be a failing pin in a connector, solder joint on a circuit board or any of a hundred other possibilities. Your G1000 is 14 years old and probably nearing the end of it's reliable life, I'm loathe to say. Have you considered upgrading to the NXI?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Right. That’s a real consideration. My huge concern is that the problem might not be solved with the new unit?

I'd hate to see you repair/replace the LRU's one at a time. Have you consulted with Garmin on this?

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes. They are the ones who are asking for the data from the SD card in the top slot of the MFD. Unfortunately the card that I had in the slot was at full capacity in 2013 so I got no data this past weekend. I now have a new card in the slot (It has to be less than 4 GB, Go figure.) I'm sure I will get lots of data between home and OSH a week from now. My contact at Garmin will not be at AirVenture but I'll visit with the Garmin guys there too.

OK, good luck on a speedy repair :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I talked to my Cessna salesperson. Yes I’m so anxious about this I’m considering a new plane. He said that we should try to reprogram the G1000 after “completely wiping it clean”. I have the question into my local avionics shop to find out if this might help. I am wondering if anyone has heard of this process?

Hmmm. On your PC you would call it a "reset". Basically a reload of the operating system and reinstallation of everything that's related. Sounds like a shot in the dark to me. In your post above it says the the salesperson gave you the advice. Why would you do a reset based on the advice of a saleperson? Where's the tech on this?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Right. I talked to Garmin. Sounds like a software problem. Update coming from Cessna soon I hope.

OK, good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have had a G1000 Cessna 172 with KAP 140 since I bought it in 2005 but have not seen your issue. For 9 years the autopilot worked fine but then started deviating to the right in hug or nav mode. Overhauled turn coordinator, worked for 2 years then same problem occurred, bought new turn coordinator, worked for two years then same problem. Can,t find anyone who can solve this problem. So, I sympathize with you.

edited August 2019

Autopilot problems are a bear. I could use a different word, lol. I had a Century 2000 altitude hold problem on my twin. I spent $3,500 trying to fix it and I think the new owner is going to dump it for a new 3100 Stec. Wise move on his part.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Talked to Garmin again at Oshkosh. They want the SD card from the top slot in the MFD. This stores all the data so that they can see what's happening when the unit fails. The card was full and had nothing on it since 2013. I replaced the card with a newly formatted card anticipating a failure soon so I could get them the data. Well, the G1000 has worked perfectly for the past 17 hrs of flight! Amazing. But, I suspect the story is not over...

Good luck :) Keep us informed.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I see that it has been quite some time since this thread was active but I'm wondering if you were ever able to resolve your issue? I own a 2007 Stationair, G1000 with the GFC 700. I've replaced the factory Magnetometer with a factory rebuilt but still have the same issue, Heading indicator going out every 4 to 6 hours of flight. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've been really worried about all of the G1000's that are now over a dozen years old. I know that the G1000 upgrade is over $50k. I'm wondering if we've now reached the point where the original G1000's are approaching their useful life.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have a 2007 182T with G1000 and was having the same problem with loss of heading. Spent a lot of time, effort, money and worry diagnosing the problem. What finally fixed was a simple recalibration of the of magnetometer. No new parts required. It's worked like a charm since. I have to respectfully disagree with the idea that older G1000's are getting senile. But they do need some TLC like everything in aviation.

Thanks for the update and opinion, Dan. Fingers crossed that you're right! over $50k is a huge amount of money for most of us. Thanks again!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!