150F Rudder Springs and Wing attach bolts

I am the new owner of a 1966 150F, I am doing an annual and verifying AD's and service bulletins. I have two questions that we cannot verify in the Maintenance manual or IPC. The two rudder springs are each mounted in different locations with the left side riding against the elevator trim cables, it is also bent and I have new springs but just trying to verify where they are supposed to mount. The next question is which direction the wing attach bolts are supposed to installed? Again the manuals are NOT definitive and the bolts that are installed are not washers in correct location by the manual? Any help or direction would be appreciated!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Please stand by while I send this to our A&P, Erich Rempert. However, don't expect an answer until next week because Erich and alot of other support folks are all at AirVenture.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Here's a response from our A&P Erich Rempert:

Hi,

I was at Oshkosh and didn't have a chance to get back to you right away.

First, congratulations on your new purchase! I have a 152 II and it's a fun little airplane that grows on you.

As I understand it, the IPC is NOT necessarily an "assembly drawing". This doesn't seem to make sense, but I have found inconsistencies over the years in various manuals, and of course the overall detail can sometimes be challenging.

My best advice on the wing bolts is to look at another similar airplane for comparison (or two if possible). Next would be to follow the general recommendations in AC43.13, the Aircraft Mechanic's Handbook, or other similar sources. You may find that there is a reason the bolts appear "backwards" from standard practices however (IE they only fit one way, or there is an interference with a control or linkage etc).

If you want something definitive; calling Cessna (Textron) to get an actual "Assembly Drawing" of the subject areas would be the final word.

This goes for your rudder return springs as well, however I'd also suggest a look at the rigging procedure for the rudder control system. This may shed some additional light on the subject, and is relevant to the task anyway. I just re-rigged my rudder on my 152 and I'm glad I did. It flies straighter now (so I'm told) and the cables actually have tension on them!

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!