Garmin 175

Hi all. I posted quite awhile ago about my plan to upgrade my 172 with a garmin 650 and at least one g5. I was going to add a garmin 345 for ads-b in and out. Well the budget just won't allow it and I am also leery of putting that kind of money in my 66. So I put in the sky beacon which is great and I got a gdl39 for ads-b in which displays traffic on my iPad running garmin pilot. So good vfr platform. I still want to get the plane ifr so I can use it to train for my ticket. So new plan: garmin GPS 175, add used king 155 navcom radio with glideslope (I currently have single nav/com no glideslope), add used CDI that is compatible with the king nav com and 175 gps. I'll be into this for about 12k. I know I can do a lot more for close to 20k but it's just not in the cards. Your input is really appreciated.

Comments

• I am also installing the 175 in my 1960 182. Also have the King 155 for a nav/com. I also am installing a Garmin GTR 225A comm. Love the station identifying feature. Had that on a former Avidyne radio.

• I went ahead and blew my budget with 2 G5’s to eliminate air system.

• Yea its tempting! What did you do for a navigator?
  • Disregard I saw you are doing the 175. Thanks
  • My shop is coming close to finishing my “new” panel. Hopefully 2-3 more weeks...

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hey guys, thanks so much for keeping the economy going :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Avionics shops business is BOOMING! Just read on AvWeb.

• Yo BB … Bendix King KI-209A CDI's are compatible with both the KX-155 and the GPS 175. It has a built in relay that simplifies the installation. Hard to find one the used market and about $2500 new! Frankly, keeping separate CDI's will be cheaper than sharing one if you have the room. If your thinking of adding another KX-155 with G/S, I don't recommend that or at least you need to plan on budgeting for an LED modification ($1700-2500).

Thanks Bob.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks all. Ugh. Now I am back thinking a Garmin 650 with a single G5. Adds about $5k more but no used stuff and they work really well together. Also of course it's a backup for the vacuum gauges. I will let you know when and if I pull the trigger.

Sounds like a good decision. New is always, always better. Good luck.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• New/warranty/reliability...all favorable in your decision.

• I upgraded my 1965 Cessna 172F Skyhawk with a Garmin GTN-650 and really enjoy it. I also had a Garmin GMS-345 Audio Panel, GNC-255A Nav/Com radio, GTX-345 ADS-B in/out transponder, GI-106B nav indicator and Garmin G-5 setup as an HSI. The G-5 is tied to the 650 and the GI-106B nav head is tied to the GNc-255A radio. I also have a Garmin Aero 660 portable in a docking station at the bottom of my avionics stack and use that to access weather, traffic, airport information and other reference data. This setup works really well and am very pleased with it. Of course, it is a little pricey. With parts and labor, I spent close to $30,000 on this setup. Attached is a picture of the final installation.

Very nice!! Have you flown with it yet? How have you adapted to the new technology?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Safer flying with more information..in my opinion.

And you have good opinions :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The newer avionics is nice in my 172-it's a nice mix of the old and the new. It has the newer glass panel displays for the center stack, but still the old-style "steam" gauges for basic navigation. I still like the individual flight instruments for avaiting. You don't get the potential "information overload" as with the purely flat-panel displays such as the Garmin G1000. I especially like the ADS-B in traffic and weather for enhanced situational awareness.

I have an Aspen in my plane, just one. I have the airspeed indicator and altimeter turned off in the Aspen and still use the old round gauges for those functions. The Aspen is less cluttered and the old gauges are more readible.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Did either of you add autopilot?

Hi, I'm connected to an Stec 55x autopilot. Everything works perfectly, all the time.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• TruTrak makes a great autopilot. Currently installing in my 182.

• FYI, The TruTrak Vizion is now Bendix King and they call it the AeroCruze 100. Pricing has not changed. Frankly, if your planning of flying occasional Light IFR, this and the Trio Pro Pilot is all you need. These are 2-Axis, light IFR autopilots with very sophisticated features for between $8500 and $9500 installed.

• Thanks. I'm getting a price on one.
  • Do they make a simple autopilot that just flys the course you dial in and holds it straight and level? I dont have a certified GPS in my skylane, but am working on my instrument rating using the nav/comms. It'd be nice to at least dial in a course while you are setting up the next thing. But I really don't want to have to replace everything in the panel just for an autopilot.

• The Trio Pro Pilot does not require you to replace anything in your panel and it will connect to a Portable GPS until the time you are instrument rated and have a panel mounted IFR GPS.

Good advice, Bob, much thanks.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Somewhat related, has there been any word on when the TKM MX155 will become available for certified aircraft?

edited April 24

The non-certified version is for sale but the certified has been stalled for many years. I haven't seen any movement on it. I contacted them today on your behalf and if/when I hear anything back I will let you know.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I just got my 182 back from the shop last week and am very happy. I chose the GPS 175 Navigator with 2 G5’s to get rid of the vacuum system. My old DG was dying and my panel looked like a “yard sale” before. since I plan on keeping the plane for a long time, I added the GFC 500 with autotrim and got carbon finer overlay panels. I use my Ipad mini in a Suction cup mount on the far left window and I can still see my old JPI fine. I added 2 Stratus power ports and the remote mounted my Status 2 receiver under the panel. My goal was to reduce the clutter from all the portable equipment cords. I think the 175 is amazing and the screen is plenty visible for being smaller. Now I just need to learn to stop looking at round gauges and read tapes. Please don’t ask me how much it cost, just know it was worth it.