What's in your Bag?

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have alot of things back in my baggage compartment for repair and emergencies. Here's what I have:

Paper towels, glass cleaner, microfiber towel for the windows, squeegee, pliars, many varying screwdrivers, safety wire and twisters, jumper cables (12vdc airplane), water, PLB, wire cutters, small hammer, candy for a few calories, spare batteries for anything that uses batteries, flare gun, blanket, First Aid kit. Probably more, that's all I can think of.

What's in your bag?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Paper towels, windshield cleaner (for plexiglass), Sporty’s pilots tool kit, 2 qts oil, funnel, pair of cotton gloves, pair of nitrile gloves, blanket x 2, batteries in a caddy, port-a-john, (male version) first aid kit, reflective blanket, jumper cables (14V). Luckily I have a great useful load!

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

No kidding! Thanks Kent.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I was lately thinking a lot about emergency gear.
    One of the must-haves in my bag is an arc lighter. If you are going down in a remote location, despite a first aid kid, it is pretty handy to make some fire to not freeze to death and point the SAR into your direction.
    The arc lighter, because a normal lighter might not work in windy or wet situations.

Hmm, I'll look into that. Where do you get one?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I fly over the Sierra Nevadas and imagine that I'll be flying out to camp sites.

I carry all that Scott Sherer mentioned (less flare gun) and all that Kentwkalb mentioned (substituting the Mike Busch recommended tools tools for Sporty's) with extra space blanket/bivvy sac. water filters, solar powered charger/battery, paracord, 16 oz camp mug, 3M mask, plastic bags (pack it in, pack it out?), folding camp shovel/pick, tactical knife and Wolverine multi-tool, handheld radios (Air and Ham), survival booklet, street maps and compass. And a couple weeks supplements/prescription meds just in case renting a car and driving 200 miles one way is not practical.

Of course I have oil, safety wire, a couple of spark plugs, plastic ties, chewing gum, and duct tape.

When I go camping I'll throw in a tent, sleeping bag, and a few days camp food, probably extra water and trash bags.

I wear my ski gear over the Sierras in Spring, Winter, and Fall, and keep the jacket at hand in summer.

The Sierras are a bit challenging.. High altitude, so oxygen in case get stuck at altitude for winds or higher for firefighting TFRs, climb over a ridge to enhance glide-to flats, etc.. I should probably drive/hike the Sierras (several) someday(s) and see how unacceptable the straight stretches of road, pastures, (sloping) meadows and rocky flats really are for landing.

Best case/worst case scenario: I get down, able to hobble away with some to most gear/impending storms keep rescuers away for few to several days - no cell, no line of sight radio (possibly high altitude air-liners?) Might see civilization within a days hike (Danger! Will Robinson! Steep cliffs, slippery slopes, thick thickets, and other Hollywood-imaginable dangers, just at the time it looks like you might make it. Maybe guarded or booby-trapped illegal [even for California] marijuana groves.) Take PLB, water filter, space blankets, tactical knife, paracord, cell phone, radios, and little charger thingy with you.

survivalfrog.com has a lot of camping/survival gear. (You may want to unsubscribe from daily promos. May be cheaper on Amazon.)

Scott Jura C-182G (1964)
    (I only fly daylight, VFR, low-to-modest winds.)

Hi Scott,
    That's quite a list! Have any room for fuel? lol

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• May be an electric?