Replacing interior plastics with fiberglass components

Hi,

I am currently looking for some replacement parts for the interior. Mainly plastic parts which have either been dried out and broke or became quite "yellow".
Screening the market I see that some vendors started replacing plastic with fiberglass components.

Has anyone experience with fiberglass interior?
What's the advantage over plastic? (in the best case it doesn't dry out and stays in the initial color)

From a price point they seem fairly similar.
As these parts are always a little pricey (for a piece of plastic), I want to be sure to make the right choice.

Best regards
David

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I'm replacing all of the interior plastic in my plane right now with Vantage Plane Plastics parts. I've used them many times and they look great, area relatively easy to install, last a lifetime and the $$$ pain is reasonable. I recommend them highly.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Selkirk Aviation produces excellent fiberglass interior parts. Far more durable than plastic. I puchased a glareshield and flap “tunnel”. Excellent quality.

Good to know!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• The Selkirk company has a very interesting history. They include their “story” with every order. Good people.

Thanks Kent,
    I just looked at their website. Looks like a very good company!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Have spoken with them several times...very helpful.

• @Kentwkalb How did you deal with fitting these parts. Are you able to cut and adjust them in the same way as plastic parts?

• Yes. A Dremel tool is great. A belt sander for larger edges/surfaces.