Cabin heat will not shut off completely, 182P

I am having trouble with the cabin heat not shutting off completely. The inlet box is rigged correctly and the flapper valve closes all the way, but you can see a slight gap in the upper corners. This allows enough hot air to come through the right cockpit vent to be uncomfortable.

Has anyone addressed this issue with a seal or by other means?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    edited March 2020

Very good question. I'm hoping that other cessna owners will chime in here. My guess is that while it is rigged correctly you have a worn part. I would check further. You may have to fabricate something unless you want to get new parts and rebuild it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• My aircraft has been in the avionics shop for a while. I have had ample time to examine the engine, etc. The mechanism Cessna devised is effective, but somewhat crude for the heater shut off/on. I agree with Scott, likely worn parts.

• Thanks for your comments, I am going to try making a thin gasket with high temp RTV. Let you know how it works out.

RTV is the super glue of aviation, lol. I'm sure it will get the job done. :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Having the same problem with a C182R. Did the seal work for you?

• Having the same problem with my J model. Parts work fine but the original seal is gone which leaves a small gap between the back side of the flapper door and the front of the firewall.

• I am working to restor a 68 Cardinal and not sure if control is the same as a 182.
    The rotating semi-cylindrical air control assembly was jamming in the range of throw.
    It turned out the plastic box that the vane rotates inside was distorted and bent up out of alignment. The rotating vane/shutter could not close.
    My fix was to carefully heat the plastic with a hot airgun while shimming the tight area to ensure the metal blade could slide freely when all fully cooled down.

Great care must be taken so as not to distort the plastic. A few heat cycles gradually increcing the heating to get a good result.

R*

Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Block off the inlet to the cabin mixer box on the firewall during summer months and you won’t be getting the heating issue you’re describing.
  • THE RTV FIX Worked great! I found that the hinge on the flapper valve had been installed a bit crooked leaving a gap on the inboard side. I found this by placing a light inside and viewing from the engine side.

I put Vasoline on the flapper valve face while fully open, a bead of high temp RTV on the flapper valve frame, closed the flapper and came back the next day. The flapper was a little hard to open the first time. The RTV formed a nice seat for the flapper. The seal is perfect now.

Excellent! :) Thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!