Removing the vacuum system from an O-300-D --- what to put in place of Vacuum Pump?

Good afternoon,

I am looking to install a pair of G5's or maybe the UAvionix AV-30's (if they get FAA approval anytime soon). With this, I will no longer need the vacuum system in the C172D. It seems a waste to leave it in place as it is just dead weight (not sure how much, but a few pounds at least).

Removing it seems simple enough, but what do you put in place of the vacuum pump on the back side of the starter adapter?

Thanks!

Jeremy Cowgar

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Jeremy, I had the vacuum system removed on my plane. I'll check and see what's back there as I actually have no idea, lol. Great question! BTW, I picked up 30 lbs useful with the vac system gone.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Interesting. I pulled my wet vac pump and plumbing to install Aspen promax 2000. Only gained about 15 pounds

Good to know. Thanks for the update. I wonder why I was able to get twice the useful load increase as compared to you. Hmm. I'll see if my A&P know's why.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I have the pump, plumbing and gyro driven instruments in a box. The 15 pounds is accurate. Perhaps you had a bunch of wiring etc removed at the same time? I have heard of unused wiring and components behind the dash being removed with significant gains. Mine was pretty clean inside.

OK, thanks. I'll see what I can find out.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Funny that this topic came up here at this time. I was just discussing this with a pilot friend on Friday and he recommended a backup alternator. I am going to look into that further.

Hi Larry,
    They're good, but terribly expensive. Let me know what you find out!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Jeremy,

A cover plate goes in its place. It's listed in the O-300 parts manual. Double check me, but I believe the part number to be 640380. Aircraft Spruce has them for $45.50.

Curtis

• Scott,

It looks like B&C is the only player in the game for a backup alternator, BC410, to replace a vacuum pump. However, few aircraft are on the STC, so it would be a paperwork nightmare, even if possible.

Larry

Thanks Larry,
    I'll check it out.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!