182A Baggage Door Spring Install?

Has anyone here have any experience R&R'ing the Baggage Door Spring on the older Cessnas? Looks to me like a rivet job.

Five on the outside.

Four on the inside.

I'm not sure what the spring's orientation is. Just got it up there for show. Thanks to the Forum folks here, I at least have one. (14 bucks)

And looking underneath, it appears the spring's pin is gonna fight me too.

Just asking before diving in. TIA.

Steve

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hopefully one of our members who's done this will answer!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Removed Lock.

This tool is The Boss in drilling out rivets. Comes with 4 different sized collets/drills.

Centers perfectly, a must for shaky guys like me.

Bald rivets?: no problem.

Lock slides out here.

1957. Eisenhower was President, gas was 30 cents/gal., etc. :)

Now we know what and where, but..

Replacement Spring is a cut to fit.

Wow. Ike was President. I would have been 6, lol. Good job!!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• @Scott Sherer said:
    Wow. Ike was President. I would have been 6, lol. Good job!!

I was 5. o:)

Steve

• I realized after looking at an eBay listing the Latch on a '57 182A is the same as the latches on the later planes that take the commonly advertised replacement Spring. So I bought one and put it on.

But the difference is having to buck rivets to install it. That hole near the edge is a tuffy to get to from underneath.

Obviously, I'm not close to being a riveter of trade. But I've got a lot more riveting to do on the plane to improve on it.

Many rivet heads scraped off, embedded within the paint, due to corrosion; mostly on top surfaces. I'll get better at it. :)

Steve

Keep up the good work, Steve. The privilege of having an airplane makes it worth it. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott.
    Yes, One question answered, many more to go. And it's FUN, thanks to this Forum.

Steve