Paint restoration on 2000 Skylane

The paint on my 2000 Skylane was getting oxidized and losing the deep shine, the difference was very noticeable between areas covered by the canvas cover and not covered.
I tried several of the "magic" restoration chemicals on the market, none made much difference.

I did a lot of searching for the best approach and settled on Turtle Wax Rubbing and Polishing compounds.
The rubbing compound did a great job removing small stains and imperfections.
The polishing compound did a nice job restoring the shine, the bad news is that more work with the polishing compound made the shine even better.
I did the plane by hand, if I were to do it again I would use a power buffer. I did not use one because there was a lot of advice online about keeping them away from your plane.

There were a few locations with small paint bubbles, I sanded those and used Alumiprep and Alodine (see below) on the bare metal and auto body touch up paint. The result was pretty good.

I replaced all the decals (see separate) post.
I finished with Rejex

I am very pleased with the result.

Offer
The Alumiprep and Alodine came in a quart bottle I only needed a few ounces, it lasts a year when opened, if anybody in the San Francisco Bay Area would like some please let me know.

Eugene

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Eugene, your post contains great information! Is there any way that you could post before and after pics?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Some before and after photos.
    I plan to do a separate write up on the decal removal and replacement.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Awesome!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• For what it's worth, the closest paint match I found to Cessna white was Dupli-Color Kia Clear White, AKA 0001.
    It is a perfect match when it is wet, but a bit "yellower" when it dries ;)

• Looks great! I have good 2004 paint on my 182, but want it to shine more. Have worked on the cowling thus far...a paint restoration system.