182P oil leaking through carburetor

I have a significant amount of oil running down inside carburetor throat to airbox. Outside of carb and airbox and engine and accessory case are dry. Leak most noticeable after shutdown with oil dripping from cowling. Engine has 1200 hours with good compressions and runs good, but with leak uses 1/2 qt. oil/hr. Oil level kept at 8-10 qts. on dipstick. Any ideas on source of this leak?
Thanks.

Comments

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    edited August 2020

My first thought would be worn intake valve guides/seal. How many hours are on the cylinders?

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Stand by while I send this question to our A&P Erich Rempert.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Cylinders have 1220 hours, as does the engine.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Here's a response from our A&P, Erich Rempert.

Sounds like leaky valve guides if you're sure its engine oil. With a high time engine there's often a lot of gunk etc in the induction tubes and if there's any fuel collected in the induction from priming it could wash out the induction and appear oily, but that would be an on-going issue I wouldn't think.

Oil passing by the valve guides and dripping down into the induction and ultimately out through the carburetor is the most logical explanation that I can think of if it is engine oil.

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you for your input. Sounds like it is probably the valve guides - it is indeed engine oil (which has UV dye in it).

• Your oil consumption is getting pretty hi, you can have good compression as you see yet still be pushing limits. So in 6hr flight you are going to add 3 qts? Mr engine is saying i need some help