Overhaul advice

edited August 2020 in Maintenance

I have an IO-470-F Peterson conversion on my C-182P. It was overhauled by G&N when it had about 1670 hours. It now has 2200 hours since that overhaul for a total of about 3900 hours. I have decided to overhaul it and need advice. The choices I have now are get a factory rebuilt engine from Air Power for $38,500. If I understand this correctly it will be a zero time engine with a new log book.

I can have the engine overhauled by America's Aircraft Engines or Power Masters, both local companies. I have prices from America's: $32,600 with OEM factory new cylinders, $31,400 with CGM Titan or Superior cylinders or $29,650 with remanufactured cylinders. I don't have Power Master's quote yet. I'm open to other overhaul options. I have been given very good references for America's Aircraft Engines. They will give a small credit for the fact I have new mags and a new ignition harness. Also, I will save on shipping since both of these companies are local.

I use the plane regularly. About 120 hours per year. However, it generally sits idle for one to three months, twice a year while we travel by RV. Should I specify some cylinder coating? I believe the latest technology is Nickel sulfur carbide and there are others. I know little about this issue. I am aware of chrome plating but have seen references to Nikasil, Nic3, Cerminil and several others.

Of course if I had my druthers I'd due the Peterson upgrade to the IO-550 but that's another $30-40k.

Any advice?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hopefully a member will chime in with his/her experiences. I have personally used Air Power with great success and recommend them.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Anxious to hear responses...I am at 1700 hours on my IO-470. Thanks for the options presented as informatino.

• Information