Moving headset jack onto panel

Greetings,
I wanted to put this question to the brain trust here. I’m near the end of a panel update on our aircraft. We made it clear we wanted the headset jacks moved from underneath the panel, and installed on the panel. (I think that as a result of an oversight), the panel fabrication folks simply failed to drill the right side of the panel for the requested headset jack re-location. The pilot side is drilled, and accommodates the headset jack as requested. The lead mechanic indicated that at this point, if he moves the headset from underneath the panel, to up on the panel itself, it would require a wire splice and would probably impede headset intercom and radio reception. Is that (radio & intercom interference) a legit concern, if I push the issue, and have the mech. splice the wire(s)? I’m thinking that’s a b/s answer on the shop’s part, but am not qualified to emphatically state so. Other than this one very small snafu, the job is coming along very nicely, and this issue would not preclude me from recommending the shop to others in the future.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hmm. So I'm thinking that he doesn't want to replace the mic and headset wires from the connector to the panel. I would have him splice it and move the connectors to the right side of the panel. If it works, great! If it doesn't, you take it to an avionics shop and for an hour or two of labor they replace the wires from the intercom. It's maybe 18" or 2 feet of wiring, not a big deal.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I spoke with the mechanic, and he IS going to move the jack, as prescribed in the original work order. This will result in a very short, but totally acceptable, delay

Glad to hear it. :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Splicing the wires will not "impede headset intercom and radio reception." If that were true, plugging in your headset, with its three feet of wire, would do the same.

Curtis

• c3 I agree. We had to splice into wires on my 182. NO issues or clarity problems.

• Splicing shielded headphone wires is not recommended. It does open the door to interference. If you did it and have no issues, you got lucky. The avionics shop is doing the right thing by running a new wire and not slicing. There is another lesson here. If you are having a new panel cut, most avionics shops will put the final drawing in front of you and have you sign off on it. If your shop doesn't do that, ask for it or you could find yourself getting something different then you planned.

• The finished panel. We are more than pleased.
  • Looks great. Having the JPI 930 installed in November.

Two thumbs up, Check!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!