Knots2u gap seals

Anyone installed gap seals on a 172? Any noticeable improvement in speed or performance? And related to that what increase if any in cruise speed can be expected with wheel pants on?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

The wheel pants should give you a couple of knots. Flap gap seals would give you a knot or two. Knots2U makes great products; I've used them on a half dozen aircraft. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I installed the gap seals, along with the nose wheel pant, in my 1979 172N about 15 years ago. There was not any noticeable increase in cruise speed. The complete set of wheel pants makes a difference of about 3 knots. The biggest difference came from the PowerFlow Exhaust. In its prime, the plane would cruise a little above book speed, 124 knots, at 7500 ft, rich of peak.
    Egon

Thanks Egon, good to know.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I have the knots to you mod as well. I have had it on since the bird was purchased last Dec (1968L model). I had the wheel pants removed during the annual and have left them off for the winter. Hope not to encounter any slush etc, but just in case. I will be watching my speeds and fuel flow, and will update on any change noticed. They were off of the mains for my last 400 mile flight, and will be off of all three for my flight today. When flying TN to MD, I am at 7-9K, tail winds headed north and head wind coming home, but I can at least compare and advise. If no significant change, I will likely leave them off. Will need tires in about 100 hours and will re-think then. I can't seem to explain the concept of NO STEP well enough, and just know they will get stomped at some point.

Thanks for the update :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I installed the Flap Gap seals in my 61 175. Didn't notice any cruise performance changes. But did notice an increase in climb. We used to get a steady 1000' per minute. Now we see 1200' to 1300'. Also noticed that the airplane slows down much slower. Very easy installation, and worth the $600.

Excellent, much thanks for the posting :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!