Rusted Screw

There are a few places on my 2000 182S that has what seems to be out of place screws, see attached as an example.
The same screw is on a brand new 182 so it is not something added in maintenance.
Is this doing something critical?
Can I replace it with a stainless steel screw?

Eugene

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

There is a number on the screw. Find a replacement screw with the same number on it. Very important. If it comes in stainless you can get one :) I do this all the time!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Same here. Lowes has a reasonable stainless screw selection.

No, sorry Kent. You don't go to Lowe's for aircraft screws. Go to Aircraft Spruce and get an aircraft screw of the same number. If the number isn't on the screw, go to the parts manual.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• ok. Thanks. Strike the previous post.. lol

• Scott, for my edification, what is the difference...just asking. Thank

Hi Kent, aircraft screws have different manufacturing standards than hardware store screws. An A&P could tell you why and hopefully one will chime in here. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks. What I suspected.

• Great question, for I am curious why that screw is in there. Did it really leave the Cessna assembly line with it? A Ground Wire Post on the inside maybe?
    Where is it located Eugene?

Steve

• Stainless steel hardware is generally softer than steel. Except for a few cases, stainless can only be used in nonstructural applications, such as securing inspection panels, fairings, or cowlings. For the most part, only steel or cadmium-plated steel screws can be used in structural applications.