GNS-400/500 Series update!

FYI Folks! I've been warning of the end of factory support for the GNS 400/500 series for a while.
It's too late in the life cycle of the GNS units to spend the $3500-$4000 to install one and ... I've been suggesting that if you have a 400/500 unit that you should upgrade now (to Avidyne!) while their is good value in the GNS units. I just got some confirmation that this is getting close. A client of mine spoke to a Garmin tech about the 430W and the Garmin tech warned him that "in the near future, the GNS units will no longer be supported"!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

We've been predicting that for a while, of course, and I'm hoping that everyone has been taking that advice seriously.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey Bob. I think I recall you writing something on the Avidyne units, but can't find the article. Can you point me to the right GNS430W replacement for my 182Q?
    Thanks

It's the IFD-440. Avidyne makes great stuff! :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott!

I've owned (and currently own) two IFD-540's. Easy, flawless, connects to all vendors equipment and cheap install. I've also owned (and currently own) their audio panel (which is ps engineering), transponder and ADS-B. Their support is very good.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Ditto on Scott’s comment. I had a 440/540 combo. Great units

• Avidyne did announce this week they are STILL offering a rebate to replace any GNS4xx/5xx, working or not. It was in the AOPA ebrief.

You can replace a GNS4xx with an IFD440, but if you have the room, you can replace it with an IFD540 or IFD550, by replacing the rack. The connectors are the same.

I have both an IFD550 and IFD540. Believe me when I say the Avidyne is so much better, more intuitive, easier to program and is a true FMS rather than just a GPS.

Roger that, Larry!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Is it legal to fly IFR with a Garmin 430 or 530 if there is no factory support? Is Garmin going to supply chart upgrades?

Yes, it's legal. The maps, of course, have to be current. And Jeppesen is supplying the maps, aren't they? Send them an email and see what they say. Then post the answer here if you can. It would be much appreciated.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!