uAvionix AV-30-C Update

You know the old statement ... when you "assume", you may make an XXX out of yourself. Somewhere, (I can't find where) I suggested that the installation hours to install an AV-30-C should be similar to a G5 or GI-275. My buddy, Shane Woodson at uAvionix contacted me to suggest that that statement is incorrect. I see a lot of current install quotes because I review them for my clients. I see the G5 AI quoted at about 8-10 hours, the G5 HSI at 22-36 hours.
Shane suggested that 3-4 hours would be a typical install for the AV-30-C AI. I have not seen any quotes for this as of yet. His figure is based on dealer feedback. In the case of the AV-30 vs. the G5, the AV-30 requires no panel modification where the G5 usually requires the plastic overlays to be cut where they are present. As I see quotes, I'll update what I am seeing. The G5 HSI, requires a remote magnetometer and in almost all cases, the GAD-29B so I'm seeing G5 HSI quotes in the 22-36 hour range. The AV-30-C as strictly a DG, with it's internal magnetometer, shouldn't be much more than the AI to install. Add the interface to a GPS and you've added hours but ****NOTE ... the AV-30-C at this time is not IFR certified even when interfaced to a WAAS IFR GPS!**** It has no vertical deviation and can only provide left/right guidance but not legal now for IFR. There are two interfaces boxes in the works to enhance the existing AV-30-C "GPS HSI". the first is the APA Mini that will initially allow the heading bug in the AV-30-C to interface to Genesys/S-TEC autopilots for tracking a heading. Interface to other autopilots for heading is the plan but we don't know when. The other interface box planned is the APA 10 (I think that is what they plan to call it) coming later, should address the vertical guidance issue and they hope address the current VFR limitation. So, if your thinking of installing an AV-30-C, the good news is they require less hours than I "assumed" but if your thinking you will be able to use it with a WAAS GPS in IFR now, you'll have to wait.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have an AV-30C being installed this Friday. We'll see what that turns up!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, love to see the before/after...is this an upcoming story???

Yes it is. :) I can't wait to try it! It has many functions and I'm only installing a couple of those functions, namely the AI, airspeed and altitude. I'm not installing the HSI / Nav Mapping function. Stay tuned!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Roger, Scott

edited November 2020

I had my AV-30C installed this last monday as a backup attitude indicator. Two hour install, works perfectly. I'm very happy and will get a photo posted soon.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Good to hear. Lots of “chatter” in forums regarding the AV-30.

• The initial post here advised the AV30 was not certified for IFR. Any updates? if two are installed?

Here's the language from there website:

The AV-30-C is approved as a stand-alone attitude indicator, directional gyro (dual unit installation), slip-skid indicator, and as the required backup in an EFIS installation.

If the installation configuration leaves no instruments that require a vacuum source, the vacuum pump system may be removed from the aircraft via a 337 field alteration process. The procedure for removal of the vacuum system is aircraft specific and beyond the scope of the AV-30-C Installation and STC approval.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!