Engine Overhaul Advice

Hello,

unfortunately my engine (O470U) needs to be overhauled. The local shop quoted Certified Engines Unlimited (ceu.aero). Does anyone have experience with them?

It looks like that it will take 13+weeks for a factory rebuilt engine so I am looking into options..

Thanks,
Kurt

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have used Airmark Overhaul in Ft. Lauderdale with great success. Also, Poplar Grove in Illinois is also excellent. If you want a simple exchange of an old engine for a new, overhauled engine, try AirPower. I've use all three of these companies.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, thanks. Unfortunately AirPower has a lead time of 13 weeks which too long for me

Ok, thanks for the update. :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I bought a factory new engine (O320-D2J) from AirPlains and got a good deal 5 years ago.
    I sent my IO-520L from my newly purchased 210M to Midwest Aircraft Services (MAS), KS two years ago because it sat in a hangar for 20 years before I bought it. I asked them to look it over and put in a new cam and give the cylinders a Nickel Carbide finish. They were very responsive did the work in 3 weeks and the whole thing cost me $16K. Ran it for 150hrs and runs like a top. The beauty of NiCarbide is the cylinders break-in in less than 2-3 hrs and I add a quart of oil every 15 hrs since.
    Call Matt or Shane, MAS: 316-283-5915

Great advice, thanks!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• We had our O-540 overhauled at Certified Engines Unlimited following a prop strike in 2018. Allen at CEU said he could turn the overhaul around in three weeks, and he delivered in precisely that time. We have about 300 hours on the engine now and zero problems. Engine runs well and has no leaks.
    It did take nearly three months to get our airplane back in the air, but that was largely due to McCauley taking six weeks longer than promised to deliver a new propeller and spinner.

Thanks for the info about CEU, good to know. Regarding McCauley taking such a long time: When you scheduled with them, did you tell them you were AOG? In July I ordered a new prop from a fellow there named Josh. We talked for a while and I told him I was AOG. He said I would have a new prop and spinner in 4 - 6 weeks. It arrived in five days.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Pinnacle Aircraft Engines is a great shop. They have a 3 year to TBO warranty. No one offers a non-prorated warranty for this long. For an additional $2500 they port/polish/flow match cylinders and fully balance the rotating mass of the engine.