Wing Spar Block Removal Help Wanted

One of the four Wing Spar Blocks has 2 bolts that Do Not want to come out.

This Block is in the RH Wing's forward position. I have been dousing it with Aero-Kroil daily for 3 weeks and laying a big punch and hand-sledge to it almost daily. Main concern is to not damage the Spar it resides in, in any way. Picture shows some mushrooming where the pounding has occurred. If it budges, will gladly Dremmel it off with a cutter wheel and then drive out with a thin punch. Tried heating with a propane torch once but willing to try it again.

Picture shows why it has to be replaced. Exfoliation rampant inside.

Any thoughts on how you folks deal with stuck bolts like this will be appreciated.
Steve

Comments

• As I was cleaning up the area around the Block, I came up with a thought.

If a cut in the bolt (depicted in yellow) were made, then hammering resistance would only be offered from that one side of the block. Right now both sides of the block are gripping the bolts and offering resistance to move. A Sawzall with a short stroke and a good metal-cutting blade may do this. Or if it's a long stroke, why not also cut the block as well as the bolts? Only problem I see in that is sawing thru the block and possibly damaging the Spar. :o I will NOT do that.

Steve

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

OK, you have quite the challenge. I think that you're taking it slow and with caution is correct on your part. Have you considered getting some professional help?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Not too far away from that Scott. :D

Steve

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

I don't have any other ideas on how to get the bolts out but holy cow is that some serious corrosion.

• The plan is to move the bolts inward so as to allow the block to be driven out of the spar.

First step was to cut studs down to the spar.

Found an oscillating cutter tool to cut the bolts. The gap created will give the studs a place to move inward with stud resistance offered from just one side of the block.
    Now to buy a good blade to cut those AN bolts.

Steve

• Finally removed the Block.

A prying screwdriver thru the cut ....

.... allowed the stud to be mercifully removed.

As did the lower stud.

And after the drilling in of the forward studs, so as to clear the Spar, the junked Block could be pried out.

Corrosion kills airplanes.

Steve

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks for the photos and content, Steve. I know this has been very trying but you've moved a major step forward. Having owned 8 airplanes, myself, I feel your pain.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Same here..also on my 8th owned aircraft…we are addicted! Ha ha

• Yes this was a tuffy. Thanks for the kind words.

Steve