172 Throttle cable support bracket

I'm trying to determine the correct mounting position for the throttle cable support bracket on my 172M with the Lycoming O320-E2D engine. The problem I'm having is that the angle between the throttle cable and the throttle arm on the carburetor is not correct.

When I tighten the nut, it puts the rod-end in a bind and makes it extremely hard to move the throttle. I've tried different combinations of washers, but it doesn't make a difference.

I'm thinking that the problem might be the position of the throttle support bracket. It mounts to one of the oil sump bolt holes and to the right,aft carburetor mounting stud. I'm trying to determine the correct mounting hole on the oil sump to use for this bracket.

My thought is to try moving the bracket to the next bolt hole to the right. That would align the throttle cable more closely with the throttle arm and should eliminate the bind.

So far, I haven't been able to find out a definitive answer to which is the correct bolt hole for mounting the bracket. The Cessna parts manual doesn't give enough detail.
I'm hoping to find someone with a 172 about the same vintage as mine (1975) who could send me a picture of that bracket mounted to the engine.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Stand by, I've sent this to our association A&P Erich Rempert for his comments.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I got the problem resolved. I was able to contact Cessna support and they sent me a screen shot of the engineering drawing showing the throttle cable bracket attached via the corner bolt in the oil sump. Mine was installed on the next bolt inboard resulting in the mis-alignment.
    I moved the bracket to the correct mounting location, and now the throttle rigs perfectly with correct amount of cushion, and it now operates smoothly.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

This is great news. Thanks so much for the update. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!