Fuel Gauge Bouncing

JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

The left fuel gauge on our 175 has developed a tendency to oscillate between about 1/4 of the range once the tank drops below full. The bouncing only occurs during flight and is steady on the ground. Has anyone had a similar problem before? I haven't started to really troubleshoot the issue yet but wanted to ask the experts for some help.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have sent your question to our association A&P, Erich Rempert. Please stand by for his comments.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here is a response from our A&P Erich Rempert:

Worn out sending unit.

Check if Lockhaven can overhaul yours or has a replacement.

You may also want to consider upgrading to a newer system for substantial improvements in accuracy, longevity, and reliability.

Electronics International, Aerospace Logic, and Cies are all worth looming at.

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

I forgot to mention that it was just overhauled by Lockhaven in fall of 2020. I too was thinking it's probably the sender and Erich has confirmed this. :#

OK, good luck :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• You would not regret putting in CIES Senders with an Aerospace Logic gauge. The CIES output is also compatible with JPI 900/930 Engine Analyzers.

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

I would like to install a complete analyzer but I cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on one. I'm too cheap. :D

• I think Scott Sherer would agree with me. Any engine analyzer in which you can monitor the health of the engine is cheaper than the alternative.

You do not have to go with the Primary Instrument replacements such as the JPI EDM 900 or 930 like I mentioned before. You also have all the basic engine information on the JPI EDM 800 with Fuel flow that will interface with several GPS units to provide fuel used, fuel to destination, etc. I only mention JPI as I am very familiar with that unit.