Engine governor over revving

When I installed my JPI the tach showed over revving at takeoff. After turning in the adjustment screw the revs start out better but at takeoff it still revs over 2800. Max should be 2600RPM_ Does my governor need attention or is the max rev adjusted another way? C182P

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Have you consulted with your A&P yet on this? What's his/her opinion?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Just my experience…my engine analyzer’s, JPI/EI from previous aircraft, showed rpm excess on takeoff. My A&P said normal upon takeoff…interested to see Erich’s input.

• I have a newA&P who is excellent but he didn't seem sure about it. I didn't press him on it wanting to find out other opinions. Should I be concerned about 2850 RPM? I think so.

Hi Fellows, I've sent this question to Erich. Stand by! :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

edited March 7

Here's the comment from Erich:

I would begin by checking the RPM with an optical tach and verifying the RPM on the JPI is accurate. (I am going to assume it's dead on, but better safe than sorry)

It is likely the mechanical tach became inaccurate and the RPM was adjusted to make it look right over the years.

Continue to adjust the stop to achieve the correct max RPM, if you run out of adjustment you may need to re-clock the arm to get the stop in the right place.

If however, your governor cannot maintain a constant RPM in flight (like during gentle maneuvering where you change speed) or if it surges those are signs it is malfunctioning and in need of repair or overhaul.

The Governor will typically last as long as the engine will, and should go the the shop whenever the prop or engine are overhauled unless you are experiencing problems.

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!