C-177RG instrument panel modification

Good Afternoon. I have a question for the group and so far talking to a number of shops I get dramatically different answers. QUESTION: Is it reasonably easy to MODIFY A PRE 1976 CARDINAL WITH THE ODD 3/4 WIDTH INSTRUMENT PANEL TO FULL WIDTH??? I'm generally told "NO because it's structural" BUT seeing similar panels apart for upgrade, I don't see why one couldn't simply rivet or (what the heck) use "Super Velcro" to attach a panel extension to the top and front of the panel then attach a 1976 or later glare shield. It just bothers me and the sight line is odd, forget about one day installing an expensive toy in there. (Shucks I could just make one out of foam board so it doesn't look odd and place it up there like an ADSB device.)

Any thoughts?
Thank You!

Peter Anninos

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Peter, I have sent your question to our association A&P, Erich Rempert. Please stand by...

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here's a response from our association A&P, Erich Rempert:

Find a shop willing to do it and go with them.

It depends on your area and the FSDO your shops are working under as to what the answer will be.

I have a very reasonable FSDO in my area so I'd be inclined to say it can be done. If you're in an unfavorable area it may be a hard No.

Luckily, you can fly to another area if you choose to have your airplane worked on somewhere else.

A good piece of ammo would be if you could point to another model on your TCDS that had the full panel and copy that (using parts out of the parts catalog would be best and probably not even considered an alteration in many areas).

If your goal is to find ways it casn be accomplished you will probably be successful, if your goal is to find reasons it cannot be accomplished you will definitely be successful...

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank You Erich,

What area are you in? I'm in S California. Closest airports are Long Beach, Torrance and John Wayne. I understand it HAS been done before but I'm trying to find the evidence. Because once it's done,,,, it's done! Makes it hard to tell.

Peter Anninos

Hi Peter, Erich and I are in Wisconsin. Sorry it's so far away! Erich is an amazing A&P/IA and I recommend him highly.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!