ICARUS SAM GPSS Display Fading Away

mike.griffinmike.griffin Mike Griffin

I have an R182 with the old 300A autopilot installed. In 2010 I had a new center stack installed - PMA 8000B, 530W, SL30 with 2 new Garmin CDI/GS indicators with the ICARUS SAM GPSS unit to tie into the 300A autopilot. My 300A works adequately for heading, course and nav tracking with the SAM unit. I do really like the unit as it also is an altitude alerter and gear audio warnings. However, after 10+ years the SAM display is beginning to fade (vertical lines) and difficult to read. My avionics shop could not answer if a replacement (hopefully simple) is available. Anyone familiar with this unit and whether or not a replacement display can be had reasonable cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hmmm. My Aspen has one built in. Genesys autopilot people have the ST-901 converter. Let's see if Bob Hart, our avionics guru has an answer.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• The Icarus SAM unit is not something you would take to a local avionics shop for repair. The factory only would be able to repair it but ... I just spent 15 minutes trying to find them. I don't know if they are still in business. Mike, I'll let you keep looking for them. They would be your only solution other than finding a used one. Elliot Aviation has one (as removed) for $750 advertised https://www.elliottaviation.com/ Make an offer on it and confirm it is guaranteed to be working and the display is good! Legally, it's supposed to be tagged (just saying).

• mike.griffinmike.griffin Mike Griffin

Thanks Bob. I'll give that a try. By the way, I enjoy reading your articles on avionics.