Oil Filter Adapter

1961 Cessna 182D with Continental O-470-L engine.
I've got an F&M oil filter adapter that I cannot get to stop leaking oil. I've replaced the copper gaskets twice. It still leaks. Has anybody had this issue and replaced their oil filter adapter? If so, which one did you choose?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Stand by while I send this to our association A&P Erich Rempert.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Here's a response from our A&P:

The CESSNA adapter is popular but it has an AD against it to check it for leaks. It's full flow so it's very important it doesn't come loose as it would pump all the oil out of the engine rather quickly.

I have an IO-470-C in my Navion and use an Airwolf remote filter system. I've been very happy with it for years and no AD's associated with it.

I'd check with Airwolf and Aircraft Spruce and see what's available for your aircraft.

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 22

Great. Will do. Thank you. I called Continental yesterday and they didn't have any other oil filter adapter recommendations. I'm calling Stratus Tool Technologies today (they bought F&M in 2015) to see what they say. They may also recommend replacing it with the same model.