Ceramic coating your aircraft paint/exterior? By a Professional shop

Considering this after reading an article in Aviation Consumer Magazine. Have heard of before, but sounds like an excellent “treatment” for a very good paint job. I am fortunate, my bird was painted in 2016 and is nearly blemish free. If any others have experience with this, please share, and any recommended shops close to Northern KY? Thanks

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi, on our Piper website is a Cherokee 140 owner, Mike Jones, who raves about it. Since he lives close to me, I got to see his plane. It's awesome with the ceramic coating. If you'd like, I can put you directly in touch with him. Please advise.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes. Thank you. I am seriously considering. Have a few shops from the article I read.

Check your messages :) Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Got it. Messaged Mike. Thank you!

• Mike responded. He applied the ceramic himself…lot’s of labor intensive work. I am much less energetic…looking for a shop to apply.

OK Kent, thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott & Kent,
    I am planning on ceramic coating my plane this month. I will upload some pics, and provide a detailed synopsis on the procedure to the forum. Stay tuned....Paul

Excellent Paul! :) thanks and I'm looking forward to your update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Are you doing the work yourself?

• YES I am Kent,

PREP...CLEANING AND DETAILING IS 95% OF THE WORK. The easy will be the actual "applying of the ceramic coating". Paul

• That is what I have read/understood. An impeccably clean surface is a must.

• I will be downloading some pics this week on the progress
    re; ceramic coating

• I have been in contact with NuAero, located in Pennsylvania. They will come to my hangar, clean/apply ceramic coating in one day, then one day to cure. Planning to employ their services.

Hey Kent, keep us informed on your progress. I'm interested for my plane, too.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Roger, Scott.

• Immaculate flight called today. Obtaining a quote tomorrow for service at my hangar.

• Hey Guys,
    Here are the photos after the ceramic coating applied with the following steps:
    1. Total detailed wash exterior, use several fresh clean soft towels for each section cleaned.
    2. Spray nine marine cleaner full strength and simple green full strength as needed for tough spots, grease/oil stains on lower fuselage. Change cleaning towels out as needed.
    3. All stains or blemished areas removed on any remaining stains with 3M full cut cleaning compound.
    4. 2nd total detailed wash exterior
    5. Hand dry with soft new clean towels.
    6. Applied ceramic spray coating with a foam oscillating 6" polisher, followed by a new micro-fiber polish cover.
    7. Repeat total 2nd ceramic coating coating followed by always using new foam pads and polishing covers.
    **Total prep took me 5 hours.
    Total ceramic coating took me 3 hours 1st coat, 1.5 hours 2nd
    TOTAL EXTERIOR

I have tried several ceramic coatings on my boat, the very expensive ones to inexpensive coatings, and the prep is what determines the protection level the most, followed by a quality coating.
    DO NOT SCRIMP ON THE MICRO-FIBER TOWELS, USE NEW , OTHERWISE YOU WILL ADD TINY BLEMISHES TO YOUR PAINT...ESPECIALLY FOR DARK PAINTS.

I have used a lot of the products available from local and amazon, from expensive $150/pint, to shine armor, to the inexpensive Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating -

DO NOT PURCHASE A PRODUCT SOLEY BY THEIR
    GURANTEE OF 18-36 MONTHS..... THE PROFESSIONAL SHOPS WILL GET CLOSER TO THAT LEVEL OF PROTECTION, WITH THEIR PREP WORK.

For the all of the acrylic windshield and panels, I use PLEXUS or RX Plastic Cleaner, Polish & UV Protectant from West Marine for a lot less money...same product.

Best,

Paul

• Looks great!

Wowzers! ) Like right off the paint shop floor! Amazing!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!