Air/oil separator TR182

My engine spits enough oil through the breather after flight to require wiping the belly off. I read somewhere that an air/oil separator would cure the problem. Does anyone else has this issue and what did you do to fix it? Thank you

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have had airwolf air oil separators on my last three planes. They work great! Here's a link: http://www.airwolf.com/aw/products/air-oil-separators

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott! Three planes is pretty good endorsement.

• HESSAEROHESSAERO Comml SEL/MEL, Inst, A&P/IA

We have an AirWolf separator on our R-182. When we first got the airplane the belly oiled up very quickly despite the separator. There was a ton of oil blowing out the bottom. Three things really improved our oil-loss situation:
    1. I re-rigged the AirWolf plumbing to match the STC. That involved moving some of the oil lines around, so oil could flow from the separator to the engine, and re=positioning the breather outlet. The STC tells you that if the outlet extends out into high-speed/low-pressure air flow, it will suck blow-by out so fast that the oil can't coalesce in the separator. Ours was way below the belly.
    2. We re-calibrated the dip stick and oil level check method. The R/TR 182 engines are peculiar in that the dipstick tube extends below the nominal oil level. Because of this, if you clean the dipstick and stick it in until it bottoms on the tube, air trapped in the dipstick tube displaces oil, and the dipstick indicates a quart or two less oil than the engine is actually holding. That leads to over-filling, which causes rapid oil loss. When you change your oil next, starting at 4 quarts, put the dipstick in ONLY TILL THE O-RING FIRST TOUCHES THE DIPSTICK TUBE. Check it for each added quart, and make a note (or take pictures) of the actual dipstick indication for known oil quantities. With that knowledge, you can avoid over-filling.
    3. We now normally operate at a nominal six-quart oil level. It takes a long time for the oil to go from 6.5 quarts to 5.5, and the belly stays much cleaner.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

In my current plane, which uses a Continental TSIO-360F and an Airwolf A/O separator, I don't need to add any oil between 50 hour oil changes even though my engine has 1500 hours on it (TBO 1800). It runs just like my car! :) I'm very happy.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• We had a point/counterpoint article on this topic in the June 2018 issue.

https://cessnaowner.org/cessna-owner-magazine-june-2018/

Digital Product Manager
    Cessna Owner Organization

• I have a TR182 ( for 15 years) and have had issues with belly oil residue . The source of the problem is related to the turbo. In addition to ensuring good maintenance , I was advised to try maintaining rpm at or above 1000rpm on short final and on the ground.
    This has greatly reduced the problem.
  • As mentioned in previous posts, the r182 oil level indication is sensitive to nose strut extension level due to design of the sump on this engine. 1st alway try to check at the same level of extension if possible. Fully extended strut will potentially throw you way off for filling. 2nd make sure strut is properly inflated.
    My take on seperators is this, ( from only a few years experience) . They work great! So great that they tend to mask any cylinder issues such as worn rings, guide etc... because the resulting oil that is giveing you a indication that something is amiss,,, is now routed back to the engine to be recycled. Now you are recycling much more contaminated oil. I advise owners to think of the plus and minus sides when considering a seperator system. Yes, some planes come with them.. Nice. But be aware of what they can possibley hide .
    And i certainly hope people are not running 50 hrs on the same oil with no make up added or changes. Ugh....
    I have seen a Ercoupe with a Cambel's soup can being used as a catch can for the breather. Nice IA work... clean belly though.

• edited April 14

Just fyi, there was an article in the magazine on this topic (Point / Counterpoint: Do you need an air-oil separator). We've now posted it on our website: https://cessnaowner.org/point-counterpoint-do-you-need-an-air-oil-separator/

Digital Product Manager
    Cessna Owner Organization