C-172 with AVCON 180 H.P STC Conversion

BuckBuck Flight Attendant
Recently, I purchased a 1974 172M with an AVCON 180 H.P. Lycoming O-360-A1A engine conversion and a Hartzell constant speed prop. I bought the aircraft with a run out engine, so the first thing I did was to have the engine overhauled. It is running like a top, but I was curious if there are other COO members out there who either own one of these or are familiar with one to compare airspeed and fuel burn statistics. I am seeing airspeeds quite a bit higher than a stock C-172 with a standard O-320, but, as a new COO member, was just interested to chat with anyone experienced with this STC. Your feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi and thanks for writing, Buck. I haven't flown a 172 with the AVCON conversion but I used to fly a hawk XP, which was similarly configured. The performance on that plane was similar to what you describe. You're one lucky guy having a constant speed prop and 180hp on a 172! I'm sorry I don't have any other information for you but post a pic if you have one. We'll all be suitably impressed and a little jealous! Happy holidays

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• BuckBuck Flight Attendant
    Scott...thanks for the kind words. After an aviation career of 40 years, my wife and I have re-discovered the pure joy of flying again, and this beautiful and very unique C-172 is going to take us to many $100.00 hamburgers and pancake breakfasts...Happy New Year to all!
    Hi Buck,
    Take a couple of pics of you and your better half when out for lunch. Post it on the forum! Happy New Year...

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Scott...I have tried several times to upload and send one (1) single picture of my aircraft, and it has failed every time. This is one single picture taken with both a Nikon camera and a Samsung phone...first time failed because file size was too large...second time failed because it said file was corrupted...this last time failed due to "extension of the file did not match the content". I admit I'm no whiz at this sort of thing, but I give up trying to send a picture on this web site. If you or anyone else would like a picture of this aircraft, kindly send me your e-mail address, and I'll be delighted to send a bunch! Happy New Year & safe flying to all!
    Hi Buck, thanks for trying. I'll get with our tech guru's and see if we can fix this... happy new year.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• donovanbdonovanb Administrator
    Hi Buck, Id be happy to take a look at the image and see if I can help. Could you send that image in an email attachment to cooadmin AT cessnaowner.org? <-- Change " AT " to "@". Thanks!
    Coming your way...thanks!
  • bobcbobc Navigator
    Hey, what ever happened to the photos? I was looking forward to seeing them.

Bob
    Hi, thanks for the follow up. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Beautiful airplane! :) Wish it was mine!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• bobcbobc Navigator
    Very nice plane!

Bob
  • JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    What a good looking plane! I bet that thing is awesome to fly and perfect for the $100 hamburger.
    Hi, is Warrensburg anywhere near Carbondale? I went to college there.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Scott,

Warrensburg is near Decatur, Illinois in the middle of the state. I too attended SIU Carbondale for my BS in aviation management.
    That's way-cool, Jeff! I was there from 69 - 73. What years were you there? Are you flying there for the eclipse on August 21? I am!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

I attended SIU from 2012-2014. I was planning on flying the eclipse, but I am starting a new job in two weeks and won't be able to take the day off. It would be awesome if you could video/photograph it and post it here on the forum somewhere.
    Hi Jeff, great idea! Consider it done!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!