Oil in the intake manifold.

Alan HillAlan Hill Flight Attendant
After major field over haul on a Continental 0300 we have oil running down inside of intake manifold. This oil is also very dark in color. There are only 2 routs this oil could originate, one would be from cylinder intake or traveling uphill from oil sump being that the intakes path runs through the oil sump via a duct incorporated in oil sump. During the first 40 minutes of the start up procedure the oil tem and pressure remained in the green. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Thanks for writing, Alan. This should be covered under the warranty on your overhaul. Have you run this by the overhauler yet? What did he/she say?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Alan HillAlan Hill Flight Attendant
    Hello Scott, actually I am overhauling this engine under the supervision of my IA. He is also puzzled as to the origin of the oil. We were hoping that some one might have experienced this before. Again it could only be coming from one of two places. Thanks
    Hi Alan, thanks for the update. I'll send your question over to our A&P, Erich Rempert, and see if he has any ideas. Stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Our A&P, Erich, would like you to quantify how much oil you're losing. Is it a steady stream resulting in one or more quarts or just a tiny flow.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• jimcavvjimcavv Flight Attendant
    Confused: Is it a completed overhaul and running or an overhaul in progress? Is it a particular cylinder? What is your compression on the offending cylinder? Have you concluded that the oil is dripping down from a cylinder or being pulled up? Did you Dye Penetrant test the sump and tubes? Thanks. I love a puzzle.