Panel Modification

VanDylVanDyl 152 Fan Boy
I think that most major projects start as a minor repair. My voltage regulator gave up the ghost while my son was soloing around the pattern. So off to spruce to get a new regulator and a nice EI Volt/Amp display to get the bill up to the free shipping mark - CPS (cheap pilot syndrome). The regulator was simple enough, but the gauge swap is where everything became a major project.

Old Amp meter was a 2 inch device (1982 C152) and the EI was 2.25 inches and needed a circuit breaker. Now the plastic facia didn't work, so a new panel build was in the plan along with a new Circuit Breaker panel. Back to Spruce for sheet metal, breakers, Instrument punches, and a nifty switch panel for the electronic ignition on the plane for the free shipping - CPS.

The new right panel came out great. Now to put the new ignition switch in. Almost fits, so I have to move the little potentiometer (rheostat). Does anyone have experience on removing the knobs from the unit? the smallest allen I have is a .5. no luck. The thing doesn't work well any way. I might have to get a replacement.

So after that long story, I have 2 questions. Why does CPS cost so much, and any ideas on how to remove the rheostat knobs on a C152?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Every project I touch on my plane has the same story that you do above. And it's not that we're cheap exactly. It's that we've all paid many times more for everything just because it involves and airplane. Stand by on the rheostat knob question, I'll check with our A&P Erich Rempert and see what he suggests.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Here's a response from our A&P Erich Rempert.

You need a spline drive set.

-Erich

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!