Mark Dean

My 1975M Skyhawk has been giving me fits lately! It's very intermittent but when I go to start the engine and get to the start position I hear the master solenoid klick out and the electrical system shuts down with the master switch in the on position? I have to recycle the master switch numerous times to finally get the starter to engage? My master switch is 3 years old and both the starter and master solenoids are 1 year old and my starter is 1year old! Any ideas???

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi and thanks for writing. I've sent your message (above) to our A&P, Erich Rempert for his thoughts. I'll be back to you within a couple of days.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Thanks for your patience. Here's the response from our A&P, Erich:

The starter is drawing high current that is overwhelming something in the system and causing it to kick off line. You need to find the weak link. You said the relays were recently replaced, were they direct replacements from Cessna or someplace like SkyTec, or is their origin unknown or questionable (auto parts)?

Either way, it seems to me the required current overwhelms the master relay somehow and kicks it off, and or causes it to become stuck / jammed. I'd check the wiring schematic very closely to make sure the master relay is wired according to the Cessna drawings and then confirm the relay is functioning properly. Something is amiss there as when the starter is engaged all is good until the motor is called upon to crank the engine and then something is giving up. Either the solenoid is faulty or the wiring is.

When you do get it running (I assume you do) does everything work properly / as expected? I'd look for other flags that may point to clues as to what is happening.

~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• All the parts that were replaced were new from SkyTec! At the annual we did replace the master contactor thinking it was bad? It's not the problem? Yes once it does get running everything works fine! Thanks for you input!
    Thanks for the latest update. Fly safely!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• bobcbobc Navigator
    What was the final solution on this?

Thanks,

Bob
  • Nothing yet! Haven't had much time at home to dive in and find something!
  • Update! I have replaced my 3 year old Master Switch and I have had no problems since?
    Excellent! I'm so pleased for you! Upload a pic of your bird when you get a chance :) Keep the blue side up!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Beautiful airplane! You're a lucky guy :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!