ADS-B Out/In Status Update

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
Hi Everyone, it looks like about 20,000 of GA aircraft have had ADS-B Out installed. How about posting on our forums what you're doing for ADS-B Out/In. We'd all like to know what the early adopters have done.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    Last winter I installed the Stratus ESG out/in and so far I love it. It is simple and works well.I am happy to have complied with it sooner rather than later even if I may end up spending a little more or not getting the latest and greatest equipment.
  • Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Thanks for the update, Jeff. Three years ago I put in an Avidyne transponder for ADS-B Out and a NavWorx ADS-600B UAT for In. I replaced my XM weather and saved $600 per year on weather charges and I love the traffic. All in all, ADS-B has worked out well for me, too. I'm glad you're done with a great solution. What are other members doing?

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Keeping the British expression "in for a penny, in for a pound" in mind, I just had a Garmin GTX 345 installed in my 182Q. It works great with my 430WAAS and ForeFlight iPad-mini and the government rebate came very, very quickly! The guys at my avionics shop said they are taking scores of phone calls on the ADS-B issue and anticipate a back-log of work piling up. I decided to meet the requirement sooner rather than later, and it still took nearly 4 months from purchase to finish installation. I believe there will be a whole bunch of grounded airplanes come the deadline. My advice: don't wait!
  • JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    I agree, once January 1 2020 hits there will be a lot of planes that turn into paperweights because people waited too long.
    This seems to be the common consensus these days. At my local aerodrome, ADS-B installs are already backlogged.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Chief409Chief409 Jeff Pelton Airframe Mech
    I got mine installed, plus a Garmin AOA and refurbished King NAV/COM with VOR head to replace the ancient Comm 1 for $9700. Plus the $3995 for the Garmin GTX 335 WAAS I bought from Sporty's last September. For ADS-B In, a Aera 660 and GDL 39 3D (AHARS backup to the Aera 660). They interface via Bluetooth. Both have internal batteries good for 4 hours, but have 12V adapters to plug into ship power. Necessary expense to replace 1960's equipment. Had to be done. For example. Transponder failed the bi-annual at the shop, not repairable, had to be replaced.

Got lucky finding a shop. Normally they work on transport cat aircraft, caught them at the holiday slack time. And they're located at my home airport, MHV. Took delivery of the C150 from the ferry pilot Wednesday, taxied to the avionics shop Thursday. ASB Avionics.
    Craig Roser: Congrats! Welcome to NexGen! I don't know what I did before I had ADS-B traffic. Way cool, Dude! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• jbradmdjbradmd Retired ENT Physician
    We have a 2006 Columbia 400 (Cessna Corvalis) with a G1000 without WAAS. We have ordered a Garmin GTX345, but I am told by my Avionics guy here in Phoenix that I need to get my software for the G1000 by Cessna. I am awaiting calls back to find out where I can have this done. Additionally if we wanted to upgrade for WAAS approaches it would cost somewhere around $20,000 to get that done! Doesn't seem quite right. If anyone out there knows where we can get the software upgrade please advise. Thanks.
    Jim, the Columbia 400 is an awesome airplane! Please stand by while I see if I can find a software update place.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi Jim, here's a link to find a Cessna service center in Phoenix. Good luck! http://txtav.com/service-locator?familySet=Piston%20Aircraft

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

On Friday I taxied over to Westwind at KDVT and had them update the G1000 to 534.21. I had a configuration module that had failed, and I may have been over charged for that. Taxiing back to the hangar I still have red flags for the fuel and Oxygen. Hopefully will work that out tomorrow. Installing the GTX345R is set to begin on Wednesday.
  • I have installed the Appareo ESG in my Cessna 180, it has pretty much legacy avionics so I didn't have a WAAS GPS. use the Stratus 2S and Foreflight for the in. I also have a Cessna 140 that I've not equipped yet, I'm thinking a GDL-82 for that one.
    I retract the over charge comment. I was given bad info by an independent Avionics guy. Westwind fixed all the problems and they will get my business for installation of the GTX345R. I am told that they can install it in 8-10 hours, max 15 hours.