cessna 182 door latch damaging door frame

i have a 1967 182 and when i bought it there was minor damage to each of the two door frames where the door latch, prematurely extended by a user, struck the door frame outer body and left a nice dent and removed the paint- i have seen a small L shaped stainless part that gets screwed to the body, covers the damage and would take the hit if it happened again but i can't find them online- anyone have any ideas what its called or where to get them?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Thanks for writing, Mr. Koehler. Is there any chance that you can get a photo or two posted on the board? I don't quite have a mental picture yet of what you're trying to accomplish. With a photo I think I can help.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• PaulxpPaulxp Cessna 182k
    thanks for the help scott- photo of door frame is attached along with photo of plane - 2849R- we call him romeo and he turned 50 last sunday! Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found.
    Thanks for the photos Mr. Koehler. Let me see what I can do for you! Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here's a response from our association A&P, Erich Rempert:

[FONT=&quot]Yeah... Gee, I know what you speak of; but I couldn't imagine where to get them. I think they are probably either in a parts manual for a different model (the one you saw) or available at some point in time but who knows when or from where.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Easiest thing to do would be to make them yourself and install with Dow Corning DC3145 RTV. The stuff is unbelievable... It turns into rubber literally and holds about anything. That way you "could" remove them and truthfully say they are "stuck on". Find a buddy with a metal brake and build some up! Let us know if you start selling them! ;-)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant[/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• PaulxpPaulxp Cessna 182k
    great advice thanks- i have a metal brake and i can make them and you answered my questions about installing them- i will update you when they are done- thanks very much !
    This makes my whole holiday weekend! Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Looks good! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!